A new puppy for the New Year.

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Tee hee! Thought that would get everyone all excited! :giggl: Not actually me, my next door neighbours, but we share a driveway which will be the puppy's garden so I'll have a lot of contact with him!
They originally wanted to give a rescue dog a home but were turned down time and time again by Dogs Trust and the RSPCA. Finally they asked what the reason was and they were told that it was because of the shared drive :pensive:. Why this should be a problem I don't know, particularly as I had written a letter saying that they had my permission to have a dog in the property ( they're my tenants) and that I was sure they would be kind and responsible dog owners.
Anyway, a friend of theirs had a Cocker Spaniel who was due to give birth, so they put in for one of them and they were born last night! So in about eight weeks time we will have a little boy Spaniel coming to play. Joy absolutely loves every Spaniel she meets and is very gentle with puppies, so I think she will be fine with him as long as she can escape back to the tranquility of her own home when she wants to.
We're all very excited, I will lend them Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy and have also offered to lend crates, which they said they would think about. It's going to be all the nice bits about having a puppy without the house training, house wrecking and sleep deprivation!:clap:

Joy

How lovely! The Dogs Trust can be a bit too fussy in my opinion. I knew two people years ago who were turned down. One owned a huge amount of land but it wasn't adequately dog-fenced - but she pointed out the dog would only be outside when she was with it - and the other had a tiny garden with a low fence and wanted a big dog, but she lived on the edge of the Downs and had previously had a GSD which she walked for miles every day. Both bought puppies - both of which had long and happy lives.

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Pupdate! My neighbours stopped me as Joy and I were coming in from the morning walk to show me photos of their puppy, who has opened his eyes for the first time today! They'll be bringing him home on the 8th of January. However, it turns out that he's a Springer, rather than a Cocker! Not quite sure how that misunderstanding happened :|or if they fully understand how busy Springers need to be kept. I may be able to help out a bit there though.....after all Joy likes to have lots to do as well, and I do have such a love of Springers!:inlove:
I asked if they'd named him yet. They've decided on Loco, which kind of seems to be asking for trouble to me, but we'll see what happens. I handed them my copy of 'Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy ' today and said 'Read this!' Further reports to follow, no doubt!
Ooooh! A little Springer though!:happy::tail::dug::happyfeet::snowangel::penguinkiss::heart:

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
They have looked after his mother's dog, who is a big, not sure what exactly, but one that looks big and fierce, but is actually soft as a brush and doesn't need much keeping busy.
I also have a feeling that they're in for a rude awakening..... but let's give them a chance, they're kind and decent people and may well rise to the challenge. (Although even when you've been through it before it's easy to forget how challenging that can be!) However I am here. I won't see a good little pup suffer for not being kept busy enough.