Absolute dogs - sexier than a squirrel games

This popped up on my facebook page, and I was quite tempted to get this (puppy class has shut down until 2021) and I thought the reviews were good and love the idea of three minute games. But then I went on their website and wondered if there were other packages I should consider- leash off, game on for example. I've never bought an online training package - any thoughts about whether this would be a valued purchase? - Considering I'm addressing a whole range of stuff at the moment - recall, jumping up, impulse control, loose lead walking and general dickery. Thanks x

snowbunny

Administrator
Well... I do like their games, for entry-level training. I like their Leash-off, game-on ideas. I may even have a DVD of that I can pass on (which is something they allow/expect). My big beef with Absolute Dogs is that they are pretty much a cult and their marketing is horribly heavy-handed. And they keep things too simplistic even at their higher levels: they seem to want to withhold knowledge rather than empower thinkers. That said, they employ some good techniques, and if you don’t expect to learn anything that helps you to pick apart the behaviours and when/where the games will be most useful, then they have a lot to offer.
Essentially, I used to be a big advocate, but that went away with a lot more critical thinking and unease at their heavy-handed sakes tactics. It’s not that the things they teach aren’t useful, it’s the way they are taught and sold I am very uncomfortable with.

HAH

Queen of Turnips
AMEN to this:
they are pretty much a cult and their marketing is horribly heavy-handed
I just read this to OH who said “nicely put, couldn’t agree more!”. I really really hate their transatlantic-plastic-hard-sell shininess - particularly as both presenters are relatively normal in real life.
I used to be a big advocate, but that went away with a lot more critical thinking and unease at their heavy-handed sakes tactics
Ditto by the bucket load; when I first discovered them I was a huge fan, particularly of individual trainers who did introduce us to some excellent basics of +R training - for which I will always be grateful. But I became increasingly uncomfortable with a lot of the cookie cutter approaches and lack of flexibility, as well as several other things.
Next time, I’d be looking at Fenzi and individual trainers via recommendations or trial periods (I’ve got a couple I follow on Instagram if you’d like any ideas!).
@Natalie if you’d like a copy of Leash Off Game On it’s here, I’ll keep looking as I’m sure I’ve got others...

@Natalie I agree with Fiona and Harriet about them

I did get the Leash off Game On dvd, and undoubtedly found it very helpful when Cassie was about 18 months to 2 yrs. Magic Hands actually was a game changer for me, and I use a lot now, 3 yrs later. I think it's surprising how you pick up on the things that work for you and your dog from various sources, actually.

I did sign up for some training package or other from them, but soon decided it wasn't for me.

snowbunny

Administrator
Next time, I’d be looking at Fenzi and individual trainers via recommendations or trial periods (I’ve got a couple I follow on Instagram if you’d like any ideas!).
The good thing About the Fenzi courses is that the instructors are all individuals working within the FDSA umbrella. They're not simply spouting a company line.
There is still certainly a little cultishness about it at times, don't get me wrong :D
But some of the individual trainers are absolutely exceptional. I go on about her, but I think Hannah Brannigan is one of the best in the business at the moment, if there's anything she's offering that's of any interest. Amy Cook is fabulous for the reactivity series she offers. I hear amazing things about Shade Whitesel, too, although I've not taken any of her courses.
Sarah Stremming (of Cog Dog Radio and The Cognitive Canine) also offers a course called Teenage Tyrants which might be a good fit. I haven't taken her courses, but I like her thoughtfulness on her podcast.

Reactions: HAH
The hard sell does now sound familiar... though I think I could probably ignore that, and while I still think of myself as 'entry' level - when I looked at the pdf that @HAH posted (thank you Harriet :) )I was a bit disappointed at how basic it was. I think even paying just £28, if I got a series of games like that I wouldn't be impressed. And yes, straightaway I wanted them to suggest adaptations or flexibilities to suit different levels, locations etc. (BTW I just don't get magic hands - I ended up with Bear anticipating the drop today and jumping up and grabbing it. Then half of them I dropped in front and to the side of him so it was messy)

That Fenzi course looks excellent, and great timing with adolescence looming. I assume all content is available afterwards and can be re-watched at any time - December will be a nightmare here with my dissertation due on the 23rd, but I should hopefully have an easier fortnight afterwards where I can pick things up. I'd probably only go for the Bronze level due to the big jump to silver (and then regret it when I want to ask a load of questions) but I guess that's what the forum is for! And maybe something more structured will help me get my training mojo back with Bear.

HAH

Queen of Turnips
if I got a series of games like that I wouldn't be impressed
I’m pretty certain that I’ve come across all the games they taught either through this forum or via YouTube videos like Kikkopup - so there’s nothing novel. Just quite often given different names.
I just don't get magic hands
It took me forever to get the gist of it, the hand coordination is really tricky if you’re also handling a lead and anywhere with distractions. I started getting the hang of it after huge amounts of handling errors, very frustrating.
December will be a nightmare here with my dissertation due on the 23rd
Why are deadlines always next to Christmas?! Eurgh. If there’s anything we can do (I’ll happily proof read!) let us know.
I guess that's what the forum is for!
Exactly - there’s so much experience here, I’m sure there’d be plenty of advice from our resident experts...

snowbunny

Administrator
You have the content for a rolling year*, access to the forums for six weeks. At bronze you can’t post, only read everyone else’s posts but that’s where so much of the value is, so make sure you read as much as possible.

*If you buy another course or webinar (not workshop) within the year, you get a year from that date. And if it expires and then you buy another class, everything is restored.

Why are deadlines a
lways next to Christmas?! Eurgh. If there’s anything we can do (I’ll happily proof read!) let us know.
thank you! I'm sorry I missed this offer . It's only 8,000 words but involves primary research (telephone interviews and surveys) so I can't even get starting on the writing up until this is done.
(and the original deadline was 14th December but I got a short extension, so my fault it's up against Christmas. OH is working up until Christmas Eve anyway)

Just gone on to enroll - as today is 22 November - when the heck is 11am pacific time :rofl:

I may wait until tomorrow but this is my plan with Bear now. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm a very uncreative do owner and need someone to tell me what I should be doing and when:mmm:

HAH

Queen of Turnips
I don’t think that’s uncreative, it’s asking for a hand from experts - which is phenomenally sensible and clever!

Offer to proof read still stands, just DM. I know how blooming hard it is doing it on your own, and very impressive - you’ve got this 💪

snowbunny

Administrator
I may wait until tomorrow but this is my plan with Bear now. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm a very uncreative do owner and need someone to tell me what I should be doing and when
OK, here's my take: Learning new games and ways to interact is awesome. Take as much from it as you can. When you feel you have gotten all you need, there is no requirement to keep paying the money.
I do think they have a lot to offer, but I also think they will coerce you into staying longer than you need. I don't think they are ethical that way. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't learn the lessons they have to offer, but just keep a critical eye on their business model, because it is designed to entrap you in the name of loyalty to the brand.

OK, here's my take: Learning new games and ways to interact is awesome. Take as much from it as you can. When you feel you have gotten all you need, there is no requirement to keep paying the money.
@Natalie , I'd go with this 100%.

As I think Harriet pointed out you can find pretty much all the games done by other+R trainers using different names for them online, but having them in one place is very helpful.
Yeah, watch the marketing!

I don't think you need to do all of the games, but it's great if you can find even 1 or 2 that make the difference and that you and dogs enjoy.

Boogie

I’m a boring dog owner.

Puppy raising is easy for me and naturally fun. But, once they are adults, I need more to keep them interested.

I intend to make life more interesting for Tatze. - especially during the next two weeks in quarantine.

I shall be watching the recommendations on this thread with interest.

Tatze and I really enjoyed the Wagga Wuffins scent training we went to once a fortnight, but of course that all stopped with corona. I really hope they are able to stay in business and start up again when it’s all over.