Adult teeth

Ok I feel silly but… Hugo seems to have tiny adult canine teeth..?! His upper canines specifically. The puppy canines fell out end of December or first week of January. So maybe they haven’t fully grown all the way down yet? Which seems odd to me.. but also starting to question my sanity and maybe his lower ones took time to fully come in also. I just keep remembering one of Stilton’s photos recently and he had such lovely big adult teeth!

D76AAD86-FFC8-488F-8431-18A1B39666EF.pngCF068428-7412-4A4F-AC3C-1D46F7147E0D.png

HAH

They look like fantastic gnashers! Don’t feel silly - teeth threw me completely with Stilton too, I kept thinking he must have finished with his teeth and then he seemed to have another phase of settling in. I think everything seemed to stop shifting when he was around 8 months. The little teeth behind the big canines are his premolars, and there are more of these then there are when they’re a puppy. I found this article helpful as a broad guide: Everything You Need to Know About Puppy Teething
I’ll try to get a photo of Stilton’s teeth in the morning for comparison! (I’m up settling Kipper at the moment, it’s 3.30 am here :sleepy:)

They look like fantastic gnashers! Don’t feel silly - teeth threw me completely with Stilton too, I kept thinking he must have finished with his teeth and then he seemed to have another phase of settling in. I think everything seemed to stop shifting when he was around 8 months. The little teeth behind the big canines are his premolars, and there are more of these then there are when they’re a puppy. I found this article helpful as a broad guide: Everything You Need to Know About Puppy Teething
I’ll try to get a photo of Stilton’s teeth in the morning for comparison! (I’m up settling Kipper at the moment, it’s 3.30 am here :sleepy:)
Oh dear! Hopefully you both are back to sleep in no time.

Ok, so maybe some more shifting/growing to do. He is only 6 and a bit months old. Even the tooth in front of his canine looks thicker than his canine 🤔

@Kelsey Hunter’s adult teeth look very similar to Hugo’s some obviously through some partly through. To be honest I’m glad you’ve posted this and pleased to read @HAH reply as Hunter seems to have gone backwards with teething. A few weeks ago he started chewing things again with gusto. Luckily he’s never gone for anything important but if it’s cardboard or similar it’s going to get chewed. He’s also drooling again like he did when he was first teething. I guessed it was probably his teeth moving and the shorter teeth coming through more but I wasn’t sure. I meant to ask when we went to the vet’s for wormers but forgot and thought about posting on here but hadn’t got round to it so I’m pleased and somewhat relieved to read your thread. If it’s happening to three of us it can’t be a coincidence :happy:. I also got chatting to a couple in our dog field who had the biggest German Shepherd I’ve ever seen. I assumed it was a cross because it was so big and it’s ears were floppy but it was 9 months old like Hunter. They thought his ears hadn’t stood up yet because his teeth were still coming through and described his mouth just like Hunter, Hugo and Stilton.

HAH

@HAH that‘s a very useful link better than any I found in showing and explaining puppy teeth to adult teeth. Thank you :clap:
Hooray! I’m glad it’s helpful - I found that the information around number of teeth and where/when they come through made a lot of sense with Stilton’s behaviour. Like you, we had a little ‘false dawn’ when we thought he was all done, then he had a bit more irritation/shifting about. I’m pleased Hunter is finding relatively sensible outlets for his chewing, that’s great. It helped us in explaining some of his other behaviours around that time too, like night time waking , not being able to concentrate so much, being more mouthy, not so keen on hard kibble - it’s a confusing time for our pups!

. It helped us in explaining some of his other behaviours around that time too, like night time waking , not being able to concentrate so much, being more mouthy, not so keen on hard kibble - it’s a confusing time for our pups!
Brilliant ! I’m experiencing very similar things to the above with Hunter and I was wondering if it could be due to his teeth like fidgeting in the night, sometimes taking longer to settle, some days being wide awake at 5.30am when I get up when usually he needs a bit of encouragement especially since deciding he’d rather sleep on the couch but he’s not desperate to go out. All these behaviours started around the time Hunter started chewing again. Thank you @HAH.
I hope this thread helps you Kelsey because it’s certainly helped me so thank you @Kelsey for starting it.:happy:

HAH

Brilliant ! I’m experiencing very similar things to the above with Hunter and I was wondering if it could be due to his teeth like fidgeting in the night, sometimes taking longer to settle, some days being wide awake at 5.30am when I get up when usually he needs a bit of encouragement especially since deciding he’d rather sleep on the couch but he’s not desperate to go out. All these behaviours started around the time Hunter started chewing again. Thank you @HAH.
I hope this thread helps you Kelsey because it’s certainly helped me so thank you @Kelsey for starting it.:happy:
I'm so pleased it's helped! We revisited some puppyhood ideas and found things like old towels to rip up, ice cubes to crunch and frozen yoghurt etc lickimats really helped to direct and soothe the discomfort he was clearly feeling, which might help too.

Oh I’m so glad I started this thread, I had been thinking about it for a week! @Jennifer I’m glad you had that chat with the German Shepherd parents as that makes 4 of us now 😅 I almost was about to book a vet appt to ask about this so I’m relieved I don’t need to go through that embarrassment now 😂 my vet often gives me free vet exams for all my ridiculous worries 🙈 he’s truly the best vet!

But like you both are experiencing, @HAH and @Jennifer, Hugo seems to have reversed in teething but I was putting blame on him being a teenager, but now reading what you both have said it actually makes much more sense that he’s going through a teething spell again… we had made huge progress with him trying to eat EVERY stick on a walk to only picking up the odd one but spitting it out quickly, to now trying to eat them all again. He’s destroying toys again instead of just mouthing them, he’s chewing hard on my arms and hands again (not hard enough to break the skin but he was only mouthing for awhile there), he chews his tree root like crazy the past week. I was at work the other day and he ripped apart his crate toy which he only ever used as a pillow since day one and he was awake and fidgety for more than half my 8 hour shift that day, which truly never happens, he usually sleeps all the way through now and has since he lost all of his baby teeth, and I couldn’t pin point why he was so unsettled and destructive 🙈

Thank you for all the reassurance and the link, I feel better about his little toothies now😍 It will be interesting to compare these photos in a couple months time. He’s had another growth spurt too, gained 3.6kgs in 19 days, so he’s 28.7kgs now. So with teething, growth spurts and training, it’s a lot on little ones! I savour our cuddles during these puppy times ❤

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Oh I’m so glad I started this thread, I had been thinking about it for a week! @Jennifer I’m glad you had that chat with the German Shepherd parents as that makes 4 of us now 😅 I almost was about to book a vet appt to ask about this so I’m relieved I don’t need to go through that embarrassment now 😂 my vet often gives me free vet exams for all my ridiculous worries 🙈 he’s truly the best vet!

But like you both are experiencing, @HAH and @Jennifer, Hugo seems to have reversed in teething but I was putting blame on him being a teenager, but now reading what you both have said it actually makes much more sense that he’s going through a teething spell again… we had made huge progress with him trying to eat EVERY stick on a walk to only picking up the odd one but spitting it out quickly, to now trying to eat them all again. He’s destroying toys again instead of just mouthing them, he’s chewing hard on my arms and hands again (not hard enough to break the skin but he was only mouthing for awhile there), he chews his tree root like crazy the past week. I was at work the other day and he ripped apart his crate toy which he only ever used as a pillow since day one and he was awake and fidgety for more than half my 8 hour shift that day, which truly never happens, he usually sleeps all the way through now and has since he lost all of his baby teeth, and I couldn’t pin point why he was so unsettled and destructive 🙈

Thank you for all the reassurance and the link, I feel better about his little toothies now😍 It will be interesting to compare these photos in a couple months time. He’s had another growth spurt too, gained 3.6kgs in 19 days, so he’s 28.7kgs now. So with teething, growth spurts and training, it’s a lot on little ones! I savour our cuddles during these puppy times ❤
He's done A Lot of growing! He now weighs 5.7kgs more than Joy, and she'll be seven this year! He's a big boy!( and beautiful!❤)

This is us too - we got Stilton partly because his mum is very petite at 20kg, so far he’s 28kg and still putting on muscle…
Well, I think petite is out the window now :giggl: I can relate though, I picked Axel because he was the runt of the litter, and I had my Pomeranian Odie that I was keeping in mind. Well, Axel turned in to an absolute beast at 50kg. But he was very mindful of his size so it all worked out beautifully ❤

How much does Kipper weigh? Do you think Stilton will surpass Kipper’s size? How much did Stilton’s dad weigh?

HAH

Well, I think petite is out the window now :giggl: I can relate though, I picked Axel because he was the runt of the litter, and I had my Pomeranian Odie that I was keeping in mind. Well, Axel turned in to an absolute beast at 50kg. But he was very mindful of his size so it all worked out beautifully ❤

How much does Kipper weigh? Do you think Stilton will surpass Kipper’s size? How much did Stilton’s dad weigh?
Ahm, Kipper’s weight is a sensitive topic… he should be around 32kg, and I suspect Stilton will end up around 29/30kg when he’s fully muscled. Stilton is slightly longer than Kipper already, but a finer structure and without the slight Drakeshead chonk that Kipper has. I think Stilton’s dad is about 32kg, and is relatively muscled as a working triallist.
I love that Axel was mindful of his size 🥰 I’m sure Hugo will be too, he sounds like he has a lot of emotional intelligence x