Awful "Professional" Training Methods

I bumped into a lady with her 19 week old Springer Spaniel, a lovely calm well behaved puppy. We chatted about training and she told me she was going to a Gun Dog trainer that I went to about 6 years ago with Charlie. I had one session, didn't like her outdated harsh methods so didn't return. This lady told me the trainer, a woman told the group that they should all leave their puppies in their crates for 22 hours per day only letting them out for 10-15 minutes throughout the day. She went on to tell the group she herself has a 14 week old puppy that has that life. So I see even after 6 years since I went the outdated harsh methods are still being taught. I did suggest to the lady not to listen to that rubbish which she said she will not. Still a long way to go. :(:(

Worst thing you could do for a dog mentally and also, especially for a growing dog, physically. With that kind of confinement it will not develop strong bones, joints etc. Just plain cruel.

Worst thing you could do for a dog mentally and also, especially for a growing dog, physically. With that kind of confinement it will not develop strong bones, joints etc. Just plain cruel.
This is so true. Sensible weightbearing exercise is so important for their physical development and mental health.

Also, so much of what we teach our dogs is just from them being with us all day. This is what I've learnt from Chewie, who behaves really well around the house (mostly, and let's face it, I'm a big softy and a bit lax with the rules) and seems to have absorbed so many house rules just by being there rather than by being taught explicitly.

That is just so sad. But many people look to the professionals for advice because they want to do the best for their dogs. Sadly they don’t realise they’ve sought bad advice. You’d think common sense would prevail, but when you’re a new dog owner, and most likely sleep deprived, it’s difficult to listen to your instincts. Hopefully this woman took your advice. But who’s to know if she can now figure out which is the better advice!

This lady told me the trainer, a woman told the group that they should all leave their puppies in their crates for 22 hours per day only letting them out for 10-15 minutes throughout the day. She went on to tell the group she herself has a 14 week old puppy that has that life. So I see even after 6 years since I went the outdated harsh methods are still being taught. I did suggest to the lady not to listen to that rubbish which she said she will not. Still a long way to go. :(:(
I think she should be reported to the RSPCA.

This is cruelty and what is the point of having a dog at all if it is locked away?
The point, those people will tell you, is that by denying them of any interactivity for long periods, they are happier to see you and more eager to work with you when you do let them out. I think it's relatively common practice with gundogs still - or at least not hugely unusual.