Barking at the slightest noise - tactics

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
Since we lost Sky a month ago, Red has been barking at any noise outside. The last few days she’s done it a lot. I know everything is ‘up in the air’ for her - loss of Sky; me totally distracted/on the phone/not here; F is not well. I accept she is probably unsettled and bless her she is providing so much love and comfort to me and making F and I laugh at her funny little ways. The barking needs addressing.

This morning, she was on the stairs and a delivery driver came with a parcel. Fortunately I saw it coming. I quickly grabbed a pot of treats and told her to stay (she’s been charging to the door as well when it door ‘bell’ goes). Blow me, the little monkey - she looks at the treats, then just sit’s quietly while I sign for the parcel. She got the treats!!! Going to try this as much as I can

Oh dear, I have this a lot with Maisy and do exactly the same. Get her to sit and give treats. It always seems to be delivery men bringing parcels which we can have several times a day at work. Not sure what else to do about it.

I feel your pain, Charlie does this a LOT. I use treats as you both do but I also use a 'scatter' cue. If I happen to see the postman first all the better, I throw treats round the floor and say 'scatter' Charlie then hunts them all up distracting him. Crafty boy goes back to the balcony window looks at me when they delivery man/postman is not there. We have had success as now he does not bark at the post van when he sees it. Working on cats and neighbours :whew: xx

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
I honestly think Sky used to keep her in check re the barking as we’d get the odd bark but nothing like the bark she’s doing now. I know I won’t be able to see every delivery person/post person/people coming to the door but I’ll definitively use the treat pot if I do.

Last edited:

Boogie

Yes, Tatze is always keen to alert bark. I find treats work as she’ll have a quick bark then come to me for a treat rather than keeping up the barking.