Boots for paws

HAH

Queen of Turnips
Kipper took a small chunk out of one his back paw pads a few days ago, and after a vet visit to check it over the recommendation was to keep it clean and cover it on walks to keep it from further irritation. In our first aid kit we had a pair of Ruffwear Grip Trex boots so thought I’d give one a go, and so far it’s been great. They’re not waterproof but they have a flexible vibram sole and fit really well. Here’s Kipper modeling it on a walk, on his left rear foot.
479242A4-E040-47AA-AAEA-723790467022.jpeg
It’s very substantial and not cheap, so overkill if you’re simply keeping a paw clean indoors or on straightforward road walks. But if you want something more meaty that stays on through mud/snow and dense vegetation, I’d say it’s a good product (y)

That's a shame they're poor in the snow; is that because they're not waterproof, or lack of grip? I guess it'd get pretty chilly for a paw.
It’s because they come off! Because they are only short, and Ginny has long hound feet, they don’t come far past her pads, and so in snow, they just get pulled straight off.
We don’t generally have to worry about waterproof in our snow, because it’s cold enough to be dry.
I’ve looked at the Polar Trex ones which are longer, but I think we’ll just see how she goes this year. She didn’t slip as much as I originally worried she would.

HAH

Queen of Turnips
It’s because they come off! Because they are only short, and Ginny has long hound feet, they don’t come far past her pads, and so in snow, they just get pulled straight off.
We don’t generally have to worry about waterproof in our snow, because it’s cold enough to be dry.
I’ve looked at the Polar Trex ones which are longer, but I think we’ll just see how she goes this year. She didn’t slip as much as I originally worried she would.
aha, I see! I can understand how that would happen with a slimmer longer foot - and maybe not so comfy either. Hopefully she'll be okay this year, it seems curious there's not more variety for different breeds.
I thought the vibram sole might be a complete gimmick, but have been really impressed with the amount of traction they seem to have.

I think those Ruffwear ones was the one we borrowed for Lilly several years ago when she had a cut paw.
She would not put her weight on it at all. So she had a front cut paw and 2 dodgy back hips.
Didn't work for us, bit maybe if we had to we would have persevered.
Good on Kipper for getting on with things.

Do you think it's easier with a rear paw? Was it Kate or Fiona that previously mentioned dogs not having great rear limb awareness?

HAH

Queen of Turnips
She would not put her weight on it at all
Poor Lilly - maybe it put pressure on a painful bit. They’re not very sophisticated inside in that they’re just flat beds, and it must be a very odd sensation not to be able to spread your toes or grip like you’re used to. We’re really lucky that Kipper’s cut is really quite minor and towards the back of a pad, so there’s not much pressure on it from the boot.
Good on Kipper for getting on with things.
I was astounded (and really pleased) how quickly he adapted given his usual wariness of new things.
Do you think it's easier with a rear paw? Was it Kate or Fiona that previously mentioned dogs not having great rear limb awareness?
I think it is easier, as you say there’s often less back paw awareness and they simply can’t see it as much. If you think of all the things front paws are used for, I guess it’s no wonder they’re generally more sensitive to change round their front limbs. I did put it on his ‘good’ rear right paw to begin with to show him what the plan was, I don’t know if this helped but he was surprisingly okay with that.