Chicken.

Do dogs become sensitive to foods? Meg doesn't have beef as it gives her massive loose poo. Her regular food is duck & rice kibble with salmon & potato wet, duck & rice wet - and this last 2 weeks turkey & rice wet as the duck was out of stock. She has a turkey dentistick most days. She's always had small bit of chicken for training once a week and been fine. She also had half a pork sossij to give variety in training. In recent months the sossij has been stopped due to loose poo straight after training.

Now these past 2 weeks she's had a giant poo slick in the hall while we're out, the day after training. Just chicken. I know @SwampDonkey relates Rory's difficulty with chicken, but Meg's been fine for 2 years, now it seems she's not fine.

I swapped the chicken for turkey yesterday's training session. All fine so far, kickable poos collected this morning, one of which I know for certain was hers and a couple looked like hers.

If it's not sick (we've solved that one - touch wood) it's poo. What a sensitive thing she is!

Made a booboo on Sunday and let them both lick the board that we'd carved the ducks on because duck's fine, right? She had a massive slick in the hall the following afternoon. Don't think her tummy can take that quantity of fat. On the plus side, OH has ordered himself a new carpet cleaner....he's always first home and finds the slick (y)

I think they do. I have to carefully manage the proteins and restrict to just turkey and fish. I had tried to cut Red’s quantity down - she’s still within the norms weight wise but I think she could be a bit slimmer. First day I did this she was sick in the night. Yesterday I went back to the usual amount but counted out her treats for her walk - I’m being quite mean really and rewarding her more with her ball which she’s fine with.

It could be fat too. Rory can't tolerate fatty things.so if it's juicy fat she's getting it might make her squirty. Yes dogs dog do build sensitivities. When I spoke to a doggie nutritionist they recommend changing food for Rory every month so that his tummy don't don't have time to react to a particular food. We did this for a while then he settled down, we only change occasionally now. We think the combination of antibiotics and chicken early on in Rory's life led to his sensitivities

Beanwood

Administrator
Sometimes it can be more about how Meg is responding to other things that can provoke a tummy upset. Excitement and anxiety can look very similar, this can cause things to move a little bit more quickly through the GI tract. I note that the "slick" ( 🤮 ) occurs more consistently after training.

How does Meg find training? What is her behaviour like?

I think @Beanwood makes a good point above. I noticed recently when we went away for a few days recently that Cassie had a very slight runny tummy. She was absolutely fine in every other way, she travels well and takes to wherever we are staying like a duck to water and appears to enjoy new surroundings, and has her usual food. I did just make me think though that it might be a very small reaction to being away from home.

Sometimes it can be more about how Meg is responding to other things that can provoke a tummy upset. Excitement and anxiety can look very similar, this can cause things to move a little bit more quickly through the GI tract. I note that the "slick" ( 🤮 ) occurs more consistently after training.

Certainly something to ponder. She probably is a little anxious. Maybe new dogs there make her worse...I'll take more note.

Certainly something to ponder. She probably is a little anxious. Maybe new dogs there make her worse...I'll take more note.

Homer had constant runs when we was on chicken based kibble. We changed to lamb and be improved. He now has fish or pork. For training I give him chicken cheese or ha mixed with his kibble, half and half.