Dog and human cake

It's Ella's birthday on Friday.

Nathan is now three and thinks that birthdays are the most exciting thing ever, after Christmas of course. So we absolutely must have a cake, and it must be suitable for both dog and human.

I'm thinking of making these, without the vanilla extract of course. Are there any other issues you see (from a doggy point of view)?
Screenshot_20190417-170517_Chrome.jpg

I can't see a problem with this but if it were me that made a cake for humans and dogs, I would only forego my favourite, chocolate cake and make fairy cakes and wouldn't waste the butter icing on a couple of dogs that would gulp in one sitting.

I'm only going to put icing on Nathan's (human) muffin. I don't bake. Ever. So the muffin will be basic and the icing will be store bought.

Unless someone has an even easier recipe for a "bakerphobe" like myself? :happy:
Oh didn't realise you don't bake.

In that case

Preheat oven to 180C/160C if fan oven or gas mark 4
Two sandwich tins greased,

2 eggs ( weigh them in their shells)
Whatever weight the two eggs are is the weight of
Self raising flour
Butter
Castor sugar

Cream butter and sugar, this is a lovely one to do by hand
Add one egg and mix then second egg (shells removed from both eggs)😂
Gradually add flour, don't over work the flour
Split between two sandwich tins 7/8 inch tins
Bake for 20 minutes, to check if their ready put a skewer into the centre of cake and if it come out clean they're ready if not bake for another five minutes and repeat.

Put on wire tray to cool,add jam to one cake, sandwich together and you have a Victoria sandwich you can sprinkle icing sugar on.
There is nothing in this cake that is 'dangerous' for humans or dogs.It's easy and my lot swear by a good old fashioned Victoria sandwich

Happy baking

Last edited:
You should be able to buy buttercream icing from the supermarket. Worst comes to the worst you just chuck some icing sugar into a bowl with a little melted butter and enough warm water to make a smooth paste. Add some cocoa or food colouring if you want. That's your real basic icing (think Afghan biscuits) but it does the trick.

Get in car, drive to bakery, buy cake, drive home, serve. I'm afraid that's as far as I'd get with baking - so I think you're doing VERY well!! :clap:
I buy cakes for humans but I was worried about buying a cake and it not being ok for Ella.

Worst comes to the worst you just chuck some icing sugar into a bowl with a little melted butter and enough warm water to make a smooth paste. Add some cocoa or food colouring if you want. That's your real
I love your help and enthusiasm but there will be no making of icing. If I cannot buy icing, there will be a suitable purchased item in its place :nod:

I buy cakes for humans but I was worried about buying a cake and it not being ok for Ella.

I love your help and enthusiasm but there will be no making of icing. If I cannot buy icing, there will be a suitable purchased item in its place :nod:
Buy a cake and just check it has NO artificial sweeteners in it like Xylitol in it and no chocolate.

Cakes are as good for dogs as they are for humans, they are a treat not part of a healthy diet, so I can't see a problem in a dog getting a bit of his own birthday cake and sharing with the humans.