Dog Club

So we are coming to the end of these sessions of Dog Club and I am unsure whether to book the next 8 weeks or not.

It's really good and we both enjoy being there, but I almost feel I have enough things to do with her to occupy those times when mental activity is required. The other dogs are collies, spaniels and a vizla all of whom are younger and have come through the puppy classes learning to do spins, twists and leg weaves as a matter of course but of course Cass never did and I can't catch up with them all! It's getting quite advanced now and as I don't intend to do competions etc I wonder how much more there is for us! It's true to say, as a true Labrador she spends a lot of her day sleeping now and she isn't constantly looking for things to do -- often a trip out with friends or visiting the library , as well as a good scenty walk, satisfies her.

Socially, it's great for me, a lovely bunch of people, and I'm very proud of Cassie, how hard she works to fathom out what is required of her,. Especially today when we were teaching them to "bow", she got it surprising quickly. We practised waits with duration which is not a problem for her.

So I will have a think !:hmm:

HAH

So we are coming to the end of these sessions of Dog Club and I am unsure whether to book the next 8 weeks or not.

It's really good and we both enjoy being there, but I almost feel I have enough things to do with her to occupy those times when mental activity is required. The other dogs are collies, spaniels and a vizla all of whom are younger and have come through the puppy classes learning to do spins, twists and leg weaves as a matter of course but of course Cass never did and I can't catch up with them all! It's getting quite advanced now and as I don't intend to do competions etc I wonder how much more there is for us! It's true to say, as a true Labrador she spends a lot of her day sleeping now and she isn't constantly looking for things to do -- often a trip out with friends or visiting the library , as well as a good scenty walk, satisfies her.

Socially, it's great for me, a lovely bunch of people, and I'm very proud of Cassie, how hard she works to fathom out what is required of her,. Especially today when we were teaching them to "bow", she got it surprising quickly. We practised waits with duration which is not a problem for her.

So I will have a think !:hmm:
It sounds like the best of dilemmas in that you win either way! If you decide not to continue, you’ve learned a lot and developed plenty of fun activities to work on together, and if you carry on it’s a fun group and you both enjoy the activity. It sounds like the main issue is pressure; if you can be happy to go at your own pace and let the others go at theirs, then why not carry on having fun? But if it feels a level beyond what you’re interested in, maybe it’s given you all you need and you can move on with a cheery wave 👋

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
Yes all of a sudden they are well and truly grown up. Red has a whole load of tricks in her memory. We occasionally do them but really she’s happy with her walks, ball time and just chilling/sleeping these days. If you’d miss the social time then do it but otherwise don‘t worry

Last edited:

Joy

As you enjoy going then I think you should feel free to continue without feeling under pressure to work at the same level as the other members of the class. But if you decide to have a break of course that's fine too and you may find a different course later on that interests you.

Thank you all for your thoughts :)
if you can be happy to go at your own pace and let the others go at theirs, then why not carry on having fun?
Yes, this is one option, I just wonder sometimes if that's fair on Cass if I haven't really practised stuff with her.

Red has a whole load of tricks in her memory.
Yes, I remember you doing a similar thing with her as a puppy. I would definitely recommend such a class for young dog. We've done

But if you decide to have a break of course that's fine too and you may find a different course later on that interests you.
I think I will probably do this, going back to the same group. You book for 8 weeks at a time, so you can opt back in for future sessions when open for booking , likewise you can cancel and be refunded also.

So today was the last of this 8 week block of Dog Club and a super session it was too. We used placeboards to get good heel positions with various exercises and also a nice sit in front of us. Not new stuff for Cass but all good sharpening up exercises, she certainly loves a placeboard, I guess it helps them clarify things. We also used them to extend duration of wait and ensure they haven't moved. Which Cass won't - she's rock solid on that, unless anyone approaches her. (Or cuts a cake, but that's a whole other story :giggl::giggl:)

Then we went back to back foot targetting - which we tried with little success a few weeks ago. But By Jove the lightbulb came on and she got it! So very pleased she was too, I love it when that happens. I think a case of "latent learning" - going back to something half learnt and it coming together.

I have decided not to book the next sessions but will have a few weeks out and go back again later in the summer. (That's if we get one).

Although it is past her teatime she's curled up asleep -- a sure sign her brain has had a workout !