Feeding Raw - turkey necks

Jacqui-S

OK, so after being worried about Lilly almost choking on a bit of beef scalp a couple of months back - it was stuck in the roof of her mouth, possibly some down her throat....not exactly choking perhaps, but not quite the prolonged chew I was expecting - thought I would try turkey necks as she has always enjoyed a meaty bone from the butcher.
Saw the turkey necks in the raw food freezer at an independent pet shop. 2 pretty good sized necks for £2.
Anyway, defrosted for about an hour or so (the recommended was 2 hours) and sent her out with it when the rain went off. She licked it abit and gave it a chew but it pretty much went right down her gullet.
Kind of expecting it to come up again.
I guess at least she didn't choke on it.
Is this normal????
I made sure she was undisturbed in the garden, so in theory, no hurry for her to eat it.
I would welcome your advice Raw Feeders.

snowbunny

Administrator
I've found this to be quite normal for dogs who aren't used to eating raw - they are in such a hurry to eat it, that it just goes down in one. It may or may not come back up. You should find that the more frequently you give her a neck or similar, the more she'll chew it before swallowing. Having said that, it still takes my lot less than a minute to eat a raw chicken carcass, or back (except Ginny, who takes a couple of minutes, but only because her teeth are all pretty much stubs!).

When I fed Odie a raw diet I was told that dogs tend to give chicken and turkey necks a tiny chew but generally just swallow it whole, then they sometimes throw it back up shortly after then swallow it whole again. I never did try them

I had great success with turkey necks for Duncan, Brogan and various foster dogs and puppies. However, Carbon just swallows them without chewing and then chucks them up again. And again. I decided I didn't have the intestinal fortitude myself to try for lucky number three and gave up on buying them. :sick:

I’ve not fed Snowie turkey necks—haven’t come across them. I remember that he used to throw up chicken necks (don’t feed them anymore). Apparently the tiny bones are quite ticklish. I guess you could say irritating.

As for chewing, depending on the bones, he’ll give a few crunches and then swallow. With chicken feet, it’s a few crunches and then swallow. With venison ribs, he spends quite a bit of time first licking, turning it around, and then settling in. If it’s something new, he always takes his time to lick and figure it out.

I wouldn’t worry though. If it’s too big (cos she didn’t chew enough), it’ll should come back up. :)

Hattie & Charlie are not on a raw diet but I have fed turkey and duck necks, chicken carcases etc. and they crunch them up with great enjoyment, never down the hatch! :eek: x

Molly has a duck's neck a couple of times a week. It takes seconds to chomp through though. She does chew it but minimally and has never thrown any back up. Needless to say, she dribbles for England when she sees she's got one at breakfast time :rofl:

Maisy will chomp on a raw lamb neck and it takes quite a while, then the last piece seems to just disappear and I think she swallows quite a large chunk whole. It never comes up though, so far. When she was a pup she often brought chunks of things up again - yes, middle of the night - but hasn't done that in a long while. I haven't tried turkey as she doesn't like other turkey flavoured things, have tried duck but she didn't want that. Very fussy girl! She won't eat raw chicken wings either.