Food pouches

snowbunny

Administrator
I quite like the James Wellbeloved dog food pouches for recall training; they're very high value and the ingredients list is pretty reasonable (Lamb meat, rice, peas, carrots, sugar beet pulp, sunflower oil, calcium carbonate, linseed oil, sodium chloride, seaweed, alfalfa, tomato). They're shelf stable so I can keep one in my pouch and use it only if necessary.
They're designed to be used as either a complete food or as a topper; I was casually scanning the back of the packet earlier and took note of the feeding guide for the first time.
For my Labs, the recommended amount if using as a complete food is... drum roll ... 11 to 18 pouches a day!! Each!! :cwl:

Yeah, maybe not.

Jacqui-S

Any wet food quantity is enormous.
I really only use it as "Recovery" food.
And the Lilys Kitchen one smells hugely better than the Chappie one which is like cat food.

Those pouches look really good. I am now using Forthglade for both dogs as well as their kibble - half a tray of the senior turkey for Sky a day and a whole tray of 1 year plus turkey in Red’s kongs. They get so excited for it. Yes I could feed them more cheaply but their coats are really silky and glossy so feel sure it’s doing them good.

I read that too, Maisy went through a phase of liking them. That is a huge pile of food, I just used two and it was plenty for one meal.
Of course she had other things throughout the day, but I don't think she would have eaten 6 to 9 pouches in one sitting.
When I worked out the amount of nuggets from Nature's Menu needed for Maisy's weight etc. that was enormous too.

snowbunny

Administrator
so as a jackpot for recall do you give the whole pouch?
I don’t; it’s such high value, it doesn’t seem necessary. One pouch will last one or two walks with four dogs, depending on how many recalls I do. Because you can squeeze it out slowly, you can make one small bit as a reward last a long time!