Homemade dog biscuits

HAH

We’re making most of our dog treats now, it’s a revelation as they’re very tasty (fit for humans!) and sooo much cheaper. Obviously they take time which is the big cost, but so far it’s worthwhile. Today I made digestives - apple purée, oats, flour, coconut oil, cider vinegar, and ground pumpkin and linseeds. Tadaaa!
IMG_8640.jpeg

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
We’re making most of our dog treats now, it’s a revelation as they’re very tasty (fit for humans!) and sooo much cheaper. Obviously they take time which is the big cost, but so far it’s worthwhile. Today I made digestives - apple purée, oats, flour, coconut oil, cider vinegar, and ground pumpkin and linseeds. Tadaaa!
View attachment 40655
GGJ is wondering if Kipper and Stilton could spare some! They do look very impressive!

HAH

A few years ago I made some oatmeal biscuits which were very tasty. When I checked the ingredients there was nothing harmful for dogs so I made a second batch using a bone-shaped cutter. I got some funny looks when people thought thought I was eating her dog treats!
I gave one of our sweet potato and peanut butter biscuits to a chap we met walking his dog Jet, he liked it although was surprised by how crunchy it was!

@HAH Those look and sound amazing. Please could you share the measurements and baking time. I really do need to bake some. The ones we buy are ridiculously expensive for what you get. The benefit of them is that they’re very thin, so Snowie thinks he’s getting lots of treats, but they’re so thin. But I could easily roll out the dough thin and bake them myself.

HAH

@HAH Those look and sound amazing. Please could you share the measurements and baking time. I really do need to bake some. The ones we buy are ridiculously expensive for what you get. The benefit of them is that they’re very thin, so Snowie thinks he’s getting lots of treats, but they’re so thin. But I could easily roll out the dough thin and bake them myself.
Happily! The star shape is an experiment that’s worked, like you I’m exploring ways to maximize the pleasure for small amounts and with these, you can break each biscuit into 5 pieces. They’re fairly short but hold their structure well.

The recipe is from Lily’s Kitchen and is v simple:
50g porridge oats
50g oat flour
50g plain flour
25g coconut oil
100g apple purée
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp ground pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp ground linseeds

Mix all the wet, all the dry, then all together. Roll out to ~5mm and stamp/slice up, bake at 160 fan for 15-20 mins.

HAH

Thank you! And they’re vegan! So guess who’s also going to be a good girl! 😁
There are stacks of vegan recipes and adaptations, another favourite is cheesy puffs which are basically apple purée, flour and can be cheddar but can be nutritional yeast 👍