In search of new kibble brand

Hi friends! Long time no see! I haven’t had to come back to this site as much cause Aspen has been a joy. However, I’ve been made aware of some troubling issues with the kibble brand Aspen has been eating. He eats Taste of the Wild and they recently had a lawsuit against them over high levels of lead in their food and there was also a study done on their food that linked heart disease with their “grain free” brands.

Now, I’m torn and don’t know what to do. I’ve been satisfied with Taste of the Wild because Aspen likes it, it isn’t overly costly, and I thought it was probably one of the better dog food brands we could be feeding him! (Compared to Purina, Hills, etc.)

So, I’m back to ask for suggestions on kibbles that you like for your beloved pups. We spend about $50 a month on a 30lb bag of food for him. Something around that range would be awesome but I am willing to spend more on food for our Aspen. I’m in America also, just a reminder :)

I hope everyone and their pups are doing well!

I think I may go back to feeding him a brand called Fromm. I live in Wisconsin and it is made in my home state. They have only ever had one recall and it was a self voluntary recall in 2016 over their canned food not having enough vitamins and minerals.

The only thing I didn’t like was that Aspen got really skinny on it. His Taste of the Wild has 33% protein while Fromm only has 23% protein.

How would I ensure that Aspen is getting enough protein with Fromm? Feed him more at meal times? Or do supplements?

I made the switch too, after I found out about this a few months ago. I got Axel tested for DCM with an echocardiogram, the only way to diagnose them. You don’t know they have it until it’s almost too late ☹️ Thankfully he didn’t have it but he was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Disease. Sigh.

Anyways, even before he had the ECHO his vet told me to switch his food immediately as he was on Acana, the number one on the long list of foods causing DCM. After my research there were only two brands that are backed behind actual nutritionist and are recommended to feed, and they are Royal Canin, which his vet sells, and Purina Pro Plan. I asked which I should choose as I trust him and he told me they are both excellent but that Purina is just a bit cheaper so I went that route.

I never in a million years thought I would be feeding Purina, but here I am. He’s doing very well on it! No issues at all. His poops are less than half the size they used to be which tells me he’s absorbing more from this food. The food is much much cheaper. It actually smells good in the bag 😱

@Kelsey&Axel Not to sound like I don’t care about Aspen but we are just college kids who likely can not afford an echocardiogram, it sounds expensive and we don’t have insurance for him either 😕 however I will look into the Purina Pro Plan...I see that there are different types of it. What type do you feed yours?

I had Quinn on Fromm 4 Star (grain inclusive Salmon a la Veg) and she didn't do great on it, and I switched her to grain free Surf and Turf which she did great on - my only complain about Fromm is that the kibbles are so tiny. We had to switch her to a single novel protein with oatmeal after her surgery in January, so she's currently on GO! Skin and Coat Lamb and Oatmeal - I really like Petcurean as company, they have 3 grain inclusive formulas in their line but I'm not sure that it's sold outside of Canada. I'm currently researching a new food, thinking about Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach...but haven't made any switches yet. I need to figure out if it's a certain grain that is tough on her tummy, or the protein and I'm nervous to disrupt her again...

Shamas gets "bored" and goes on hunger strikes, so we've tried a few foods. The ones he did well on are Lifetime, Wellness Core Raw Rev Petsmart Authority- the one for skin and stomach.

Lifetime is about $48/bag. High protein in the lamb. We had him on it when we first got him, and first got him, emaciated. He put on muscle weight, and his fur took on a healthy sheen.

Wellness is $80/bag. It became too much for the budget when I was injured and off work, but Shamas liked it and his stools were small and stable while he was on it. His weight was good and he enjoyed his dinner.

Petsmart Authority is $48/bag and they partner with GNC to make it nutritionally balanced. Shamas usually stays on that brand the longest, and rarely has excess waste. His waistline is trim, but healthy(the vet says he's 1.5lb over ideal) Good energy.

@Kelsey&Axel Not to sound like I don’t care about Aspen but we are just college kids who likely can not afford an echocardiogram, it sounds expensive and we don’t have insurance for him either 😕 however I will look into the Purina Pro Plan...I see that there are different types of it. What type do you feed yours?
Don’t feel bad. It is expensive and the reason I had it done was because he does have pet insurance. The total came to $500 but we only paid $50 thanks to the insurance.

Any of the Purina Pro Plans are good. I chose the Large Breed Focus one.