Insurance

How much is your dogs insurance.

Stanley’s was £25 a month 4 years ago and it’s gone up to £43 now. I feel like that’s a big jump in 4 years considering we’ve never claimed.

Mine climbed a lot over the years - I just increased my deductible to the max (from $500 to $1000) and now my monthly payment is back down to $50/month (it went to $103 in March). I'm hesitant to switch companies since I'm not sure if my previous claims will go against me. I feel like everything starts off as a deal and ends up being just the same high price after I switch companies - car insurance, internet, pet insurance!

Monty's is now £52 / month with petplan. He only has the £4k for life cover though - I'm not able to increase it. We are completely over a barrel as he is uninsurable elsewhere. It's still worth us doing as we claim £400-500 per year anyway in medicine and treatment, though our excess has also gone up from £75 to £95. I think rises have been around 10% per year on average. though this year jumped even more from £45 to £52.

Bear came with the Kennel Club free 5 week breeder insurance. I looked into it - they wanted £51 per month! even with the first two months free, no way was I paying that.
I ended up going with pet plan again - £28 / month for the £7k for life, so a bit better than Monty's cover. I'll get £37 cash back with quidco, and an additional £12 discount from petplan for having 2 animals insured with them.

There were cheaper companies around - but only by £2-4 / month. My only gripe with petplan is their limit on 10 hydro sessions per injury, apart from that they pay up quickly. (touchwood)
I might look around again next year - I ran out of time this year to properly investigate what each policy includes.

Your big thing will be pre-existing conditions - it's surprising what they exclude - ie, will a bit of itchy skin three years ago mean you can never claim for any future skin issues? They are picky.
Moneysupermarket does the best lot of UK quotes in one go, followed by confused.com. If you get a good price, go back to your original insurer and see what they'll do to keep you.

Yeah I darent change. Stanley is a manky eyes, itchy, limping doggy dustbin. Dread to think what’s on his records they could use against me.

Fergus is £52 per month for £7000 per year with a £100 excess! Petplan. we have never claimed and he has no pre existin conditions. I try not to think about it but it’s blooming steep. We also (I presume) get a 2 animal discount as far as I remember.

Oreo is £33 a month on Bought By Many.
Covered up to £7000, with £69 excess. No claims on it yet, but it is a “fixed for life” policy, so it shouldn’t change 🤞🏼
If it does change then I’ll obviously look around, but from what I understand, it shouldn’t.

Naya

We are with Direct Line with £5k life cover. We have claimed loads over the years - pyometra meant emergency spay, lots of cut/sliced paws, xrays, biopsies of lumps, hydro, physio, stomach issues - lots of tests. They still pay out with no quibble. We pay £32 per month.

Cassie is now with Bought by Many, any pre existing conditions are only relevant for the previous 2 years, approx £30 /month. A very big selling point for me was £2000 (I think) towards emergency care should anything happen to me and I am unable to care for her.

We are with Direct Line with £5k life cover. We have claimed loads over the years - pyometra meant emergency spay, lots of cut/sliced paws, xrays, biopsies of lumps, hydro, physio, stomach issues - lots of tests. They still pay out with no quibble. We pay £32 per month.
That sounds very good Naya.