Just when I was ready to pay for a trainer....

Shamas goes and pulls a 180 lol

In the last couple of weeks he has:

Ignored a dog barking at him from the other side of the street

Initiated a meeting with a strange dog in a new place

Not reacted to 5 dogs on this evening's walk

Begun to accept the "wait" cue to as something loosely resembling a "heel" -- a thing I've not been able to get him to do before. He's always walked ahead of me

I had thought to start him with a trainer when the weather cooled down, to help with his reactivity issues, at $60/session..and now he's being a normal dog lol! I think perhaps I'll start earlier, and capitalize on his good state of mind to build on his successes. He normally regresses in late Sept/October so starting now while he's good might help avert that....

We're very happy. I have decided instead of getting a trainer to work on Shamas, I'm going to find one to work on OH

He doesn't understand anything I am trying to tell him about walking properly and still gives Shamas a full leash, negating the point of the Martingale collar and putting him at risk for reactive behavior. It's not because he's not Willing to walk properly..he's just our first dog, and I'm long-winded lol

LOL
Probably right. And kids. I won't let the one walk the dog, because she only walks long-leash, and once he lunged and she just froze, holding the leash.

Think almost 6 foot teenager on the end of the lead of a lunging, growling dog. What you don't see is that she has a fear of mean dogs because of a dog back when she was 9, and that just got triggered by her own dog.

No, we want him well under control, and not on her leash. He senses her concern of other dogs, and wants to defend her.

Lab_adore

Staff member
When OH walks Maxx he pulls like a steam train, dragging him from tree to tree. When I take the lead all I have to say is 'walk with me Maxx' and he trots beside me like a lamb. Yet OH doesn't acknowledge it ever. I told him and told him what to do at the beginning but eventually gave up. |(

Exactly the same here @Lab_adore , I have told him and he won't listen, he'll say the completely wrong cues and not acknowledge that he is causing the behaviour
- and when Maisy doesn't do something I say I always get 'you haven't trained her very well have you?' :mad:

When OH walks Maxx he pulls like a steam train, dragging him from tree to tree. When I take the lead all I have to say is 'walk with me Maxx' and he trots beside me like a lamb. Yet OH doesn't acknowledge it ever. I told him and told him what to do at the beginning but eventually gave up. |(
Shamas is the same way with hubby. I've tried to explain why he needs to use a shorter lead but hubby doesn't care if he pulls