Lady - Retired

David

Administrator
It was my first shoot in 7 years yesterday without my good companion, Lady by my side. Poor lamb is now pretty much crippled with arthritis. The heart wrenching thing is she still wants to come and gets herself in position at the door just before I start to put my gear in the car. I'd planned to come back at lunchtime yesterday to take her out for the afternoon drives as there isn't so much walking involved but it didn't work out because of the bad weather. It was high winds and driving rain and we all got soaked. We took a consensus on how to play it and decided to do 2 fewer drives than usual and finish for a late lunch. It proved to be a good decision.

Next time out it will hopefully be a normal day and I can pop back to pick the old girl up for an afternoon half day. It's just not the same without her by my side. She makes the day harder work in many ways but overall it just doesn't feel right without her.

No doubt as soon as you drove away, she climbed back into a warm bed with a satisfied smile.... and dreamt of pheasants flying high....she will enjoy a walk later with you both going at a relaxed pace, lots of lovely sniffs in the countryside. It must feel odd for you, but maybe the odd drive or two when the weather is a bit better :)

David

Administrator
I had to retire poor Rourke at 6 as he has such bad arthritis, so I feel for you going out without your previous partner, but at least she can enjoy a half day, it is so sad when they have to give up.
Poor Rourke! 6 is very young to have arthritis isn't it? Lady has ED and was operated on for it just before her 3rd birthday (if I recall correctly), so we were expecting her to get arthritis at some point. She got 6 good years before it reared it's head.

It is sad... but you can still make sure she has a lovely time sniffing out pheasants and doing the odd drive when the weather is good. I am sure you miss her sorely, but you are doing the responsible thing for her.
I'm feeling my way to be honest as I haven't much experience with this. We're back at the vet on Thursday for Lady's annual shots and I'll the vet will check her out to see how she's doing. She's on strong pain killers at the moment and I'm not sure now if that's just a one-off course to get over an acute period, or a long term thing. I'll find out on Thursday.

That's indeed a sad right of passage not having Lady with you for a shoot. :hug:

On the other hand, it sounds like you are managing it very well so that she can still participate in a way that will be better for her.

I also have faith that you'll find new things to do with her to share time together. I have really good memories of Brogan's senior years as it made me slow down and do things differently too. We did a lot of just sitting together and watching the world go by: I got to see a lot of things I would have missed in his younger years when we were able to speed around everywhere. :)

David

Administrator
I also have faith that you'll find new things to do with her to share time together. I have really good memories of Brogan's senior years as it made me slow down and do things differently too. We did a lot of just sitting together and watching the world go by: I got to see a lot of things I would have missed in his younger years when we were able to speed around everywhere. :)
That's very true! Looking at wild flowers, insects and butterflies in our case! :)