New Harness

Any good harness suggestions for a strong 36kg lab?
Preferably something with a good grip handle, back loop for a lead and something thats not easy to slip out of.

We don't use his harness much on walks but it is very useful if he's going somewhere where there might be a noise that upsets him and we need better security to hold onto him as he can slip though his collar.

His old one was also

I picked up a dog Copenhagen harness from crufts this year. It's fully padded, front and back clips and a strong handle at the pack. It's a good, almost snug fit with the wide chest plates, no chance of escaping at all. But doesn't rub at all, I was concerned it might but no issues there at all. It's incredibly well made, I can't see it wearing out ever. Have washed it a few times already, dries well. I got the large, it's only just big enough but Monty is quite a tall, long dog, though only 29 kikos, he's not muscly. It was either £40 or 45 , not cheap but pretty sure would last a lifetime.

Comfort Walk Pro™ Harness - DOG Copenhagen

Reactions: HAH
I have the Julius K9, which has a handle and is very sturdy. It doesn't rub the armpits and no escaping. We don't use it for walking that much anymore, but when we did, I liked that you could clip the handle down so it wouldn't catch on anything. We've had it almost 2 years and it still has it's shape. IDC POWER HARNESS- ALL PRODUCTS

HAH

Queen of Turnips
We've got the Julius K9 too, and Kipper moves much more easily in this than in his old harness - I think it's the freedom round the legs, and there's no stepping in and out. It's pretty substantial and the back ring for a lead is very sturdy. As @Ashley says, the fact the handle velros down is great - doesn't get in the way or snag easily.

May I ask what size Julius K9 harness you have?
Homer weights 36kg but has a girth behind hid front legs of 76cm. I think size 1 but don't want it too short around his chest.
Size 1 girth 63 - 85cm weight 23- 30kg
Size 2 girth 71 - 96cm weight 28 - 40kg

We have a size 1, we purchased it when Quinn was around 11 months old and weighed about 53lbs (24kg) she now hovers around 65 lbs (29kg) and has filled out in her chest, but is still fairly narrow. The bottom and front straps adjust, but you wouldn't want the top part to be too small, as it is curved and looks/fits funny when too small. I think they have an exchange policy if you get the size wrong (we bought ours at a pet show so we were able to try on the sizes).

Ripple has the k9 in a size 2. At 28 - 29 kg he's only just into this size and when his weight goes down it does get a bit loose on him.
This only has the back ring, but as I usually use it with the long line this is fine. When he was younger we had the Perfect Fit with the chest and back ring but he didn't really like it. He tolerates the k9 much better although he quite often does a 'crab' walk for the first few seconds of wearing it.

I've been searching Amazon and reading far too many reviews. I'm discounting any reviews regarding dogs still pulling but have found reviews where dogs have pulled out of their Julius K9 harness. We need something secure as secure can be, I know nothing is 100% safe as we need his harness if he is or might be in a panic situation.

Julius K9 does have an extra front stap you can buy and I like how the straps wrap around securely so their shouldn't be any problems with stitching coming undone or ripping, I presume the velcro stays put.

I've also found this one, its cheeper and has a front chest strap
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075FRGCT1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BXKE47JP3ABJ&psc=1
Sorry It won't turn into a hyperlink but comments are that clips have broken and I'm concerned the straps may not be securely stitched.

Now I've found this one
https://www.hurtta.com/global_en/active-harness
It looks really strong and well made but is doesn't have a front lead ring,, not necessary but useful if he starts to back away and slip out of his harness.

Hubby says I worry too much and to just get the cheapest!

I've been searching Amazon and reading far too many reviews. I'm discounting any reviews regarding dogs still pulling but have found reviews where dogs have pulled out of their Julius K9 harness. We need something secure as secure can be, I know nothing is 100% safe as we need his harness if he is or might be in a panic situation.

Julius K9 does have an extra front stap you can buy and I like how the straps wrap around securely so their shouldn't be any problems with stitching coming undone or ripping, I presume the velcro stays put.

I've also found this one, its cheeper and has a front chest strap
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075FRGCT1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BXKE47JP3ABJ&psc=1
Sorry It won't turn into a hyperlink but comments are that clips have broken and I'm concerned the straps may not be securely stitched.

Now I've found this one
https://www.hurtta.com/global_en/active-harness
It looks really strong and well made but is doesn't have a front lead ring,, not necessary but useful if he starts to back away and slip out of his harness.

That hurtta one looks almost identical to the Copenhagen one I mentioned above. Though it does have a a front ring. It's a tighter fit going over their head, and more shaped so I just don't see any escapism going on.
Ive had him reverse out of a cosy dog collar before, so I do know what you mean
I

Obviously you should get the one that most suits your needs even if it's the most expensive ;).

I did know you could get the front attachment for the k9 but I've never seen one in use. Ripple has never slipped his harness, even when it gets a bit loose. I haven't had any trouble with the Velcro or stitching and I've had to wash the harness a few times when it's got mucky. Also Ripple loves to roll on the ground, which I don't really like him doing wearing the harness, and that doesn't seem to have had a detrimental effect on it either. It is quite a bulky harness compare to the 'strappy' ones but I don't have a problem with that.

We have the Haqihana like @Charlie - I can't see a dog backing out of it if it's well fitted, but it does not have a top handle that you are looking for. I sometimes grab the back strap, but it's not as readily available as an extra handle.

The Velcro on the Julius is heavy duty and ours has never budged, and it has gotten wet many times. I could see how a dog really backing out while pulling against a leash could possibly get out of it, especially if either of the straps are too loose. It’s tough to get it over the head before you have time to grab a collar (just tested on Quinn). Seeing the video of Monty, that harness looks impossible to back out of.

HAH

Queen of Turnips
An idle thought - if you’re looking for something ‘simple’ like a chest ring or back handle that a harness you like doesn’t have, it might be worth investigating having the thing added by someone who fixes/makes horse rugs and/or saddlery. Could be a fairly simple & inexpensive job and gets you what you’re after.

I’ve ordered size 1 and size 2 Julius harness. Not sure which fits Homer better so here is Homer modelling rather impatiently size1AA0408FA-4167-49C4-87FE-1B39D9F9EFC3.jpeg

The pictures of size 2 didn’t come out so well.

Problem is size 1 sits above his shoulder but catches on his throat when he bends his head down to pick kibble off the floor (or a ball), size two sits lower but across his shoulders .

Hubby decided on the camo colour. Homer says he never wanted to be a model and why all the fuss when there are squirrels to chase.

They are strong and solid and he can’t get out of them and have the all important handle.

Hmm. Personally I would be happy with the fit of the straps behind the elbows/armpits., butnothappy with the strap across the chest which looms as if it will inhibit movement from the shoulder. Sorry ..

I like the camo-colour. And it does look impossible to back out of - I know this is very important to you, as is the grab-handle. It seems to be a compromise between catching his throat or impinging on his shoulders. Is the throat-catching bit bad? happening often? Is he reacting to it? I wouldn't like to constrict hos shoulder movement at all.

Have you looked at these? https://www.hurtta.com/global_en/active-harness. They don't have the strap across the front, but look inescapable and styrdy.

Homer is a lovely model.