St.Francis Home for Dogs

kateincornwall

This is the shelter we had our dear little Millie from , and from that day, have supported by fund raising and collecting/delivering of bedding , food etc . The shelter is just outside Newquay in a prime location overlooking the sea and has fields for dog exercising , a beautiful place .
Late last week , a post on their FB page shocked everyone with the announcement that they were to close with immediate effect , that the five staff ( one being a friend of ours ) were to lose their jobs . The most shocking aspect was that this post appeared just half an hour after the unsuspecting staff had been told but almost worse was the fact that at this time , the many volunteers had not been informed , finding out this sad news on FB .
This has understandably caused great upset , some of the staff have been there for many years , one of the volunteers has been going twice a week for thirty years , and so to hear this news via FB was shocking .
The decision has been made by the trustees who say that they need to close the shelter for " intended " upgrading . However , their charitable status shows clearly that the books were healthy , well they were until a company was employed to act as consultant to advise on the use of funds available .
Many angry people are demanding the truth , many as myself are doubtful of the intentions of the trustees as despite their said intentions to begin work on the site , no planning permission for this work has been shown on the councils website . This is prime building land , very valuable land for housing , I just hope and pray that this closure will not be permanent , for the sake of the dogs , staff and volunteers but I fear for the future , as lots of supporters are cancelling their monthly direct debits , changing wills and generally holding back support until the absolute truth is told , its very sad .

I can't imagine how the staff and volunteers are feeling. Is there any word yet of what will happen to the dogs? It will be devastating for the humans and the dogs to be dispersed, even if the dogs' physical needs are met where ever they go.

kateincornwall

I can't imagine how the staff and volunteers are feeling. Is there any word yet of what will happen to the dogs? It will be devastating for the humans and the dogs to be dispersed, even if the dogs' physical needs are met where ever they go.
The trustees have stated that the dogs currently in their care will be rehomed , or taken to other shelters . I do feel terribly sad , the shelter has been on this site for over 60 years , working closely with the community and local council wardens . Our Millie was a stray, picked up by the dog warden and given a chance by St.Francis , I could flippin weep x

kateincornwall

It's such a sad decision and seems utterly wrong that it could be made in secrecy by a few people. Shouldn't the community and donors have a say?
Yes they should, which is why many are demanding a meeting with the trustees , its all so sudden to the public and yet must have been in the pipeline for ages .
Theres a lovely man in Bodmin who light up his house at Christmas, he asks for donations which are all for this shelter , he presented them with a cheque, a sizeable amount too, just a week before this public announcement , which I think it truly disgraceful x

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
That's dreadful Kate. Appalling treatment of the people who work there and the volunteers. If they'll treat people like that it makes me wonder how the poor dogs will fare. I agree that it all sounds suspicious.

kateincornwall

Honestly , it is soul destroying :cry: There are very few shelters in Cornwall who will take council strays and this was the main one . A lovely lady who I know personally used to visit and assess every dog before rehoming and, in her capacity as a behaviourist , she would work with the assistant manager ( our friend ) to help those dogs who needed that extra work before they could be rehabilitated back into society . We loved visiting , often incorporating it with a beach run for our dogs and they would always be so grateful of donations .
I dont like to be cynical but in this instance I am x