Toppl

Naya

I recently joined a group on Facebook which dog people review products for dogs and one of the products they recommended was the Toppl which you can get from lots of different online shops.

I decided to buy one as Harley doesn’t like kongs for some weird reason. Well, she loves her raw food in the large Toppl, and frozen yogurt and tuna in her small Toppl. I think it’s great, as does Harley 😀
665A8516-E41B-4C9D-A6C4-D764245BA481.jpeg17FCF391-2D9A-477D-9D3F-217924F46556.jpeg

snowbunny

Administrator
I’ve looked at these a few times but I’m worried that a) they seem to hold a lot more than Kongs and b) look like they’d take far less time than Kongs.
I’d be interested in your thoughts comparing them to Kongs for dogs who are both enthusiastic and efficient at emptying Kongs.

Reactions: HAH
I’ve looked at these a few times but I’m worried that a) they seem to hold a lot more than Kongs and b) look like they’d take far less time than Kongs.
I’d be interested in your thoughts comparing them to Kongs for dogs who are both enthusiastic and efficient at emptying Kongs.
I have thought that they seem a little easy. They are also crazy expensive here! Like $40 or something ridiculous, whereas you can get a Kong for less than half that.

Reactions: HAH

HAH

Queen of Turnips
IMO, they are both crazy expensive @MrChew (reckon I paid ~£15 per Toppl?!) and far easier than a kong @snowbunny :D

Part of the attraction for me was that Kipper gave up on kongs, and even going down the route of easier unfrozen fillings then making it more difficult, he lost interest. Frankly though this was likely more to do with boring fillings - it coincided with Kipper having a dodgy tummy on and off for a few weeks, so OH was v keen we kept things very conservative; and I think this became boring.

I like the Toppl for its easy access and it seems easier for the dog to manipulate; I’ve been using ours with a smear of peanut butter, and will probably graduate to frozen yoghurt too. But in summary, I’d say if your dog is happy with a kong, stick with it.

I meant to say they seem to do 3 sizes; we’ve got large, and I reckon they’re about 1/3 bigger capacity than a medium Kong.

Oh my goodness; we would both be in mental care if it wasn't for Kongs. Maxx goes mad for them, every time, and we get a bit of a break when he is seriously wanting some attention and we don't have the time right at that moment. They are very low calorie; cooked carrots with a bit of honey and blended, banana and water blended - all frozen of course.

Our other go-to is our black Kong bone where we jam half a denta stick into each end. I must video this: we say 'get your bone' and he runs off to find it and brings it back. We do the denta stick and say 'outside' (because it makes a mess) and out he goes for a good long chew.

Interesting! But as I need something more difficult than a Kong, not less, I think I'll skip.

I really need something that's practically inaccessible. Carbon loves his frozen Kongs for lunch, but while the first week or so he'd be out with it for 45 minutes, he now demolishes the thing in less than 10. Same with the slow feeder - clears that sucker out in less than 2 minutes.

His new lick mats will get a try out on the road with peanut butter. Hopefully those will be a hit.

snowbunny

Administrator
Have you tried shoving something into the Kong that is actually difficult for you to get out, even with fingers? I sometimes stuff a whole shell-and-head-on king prawn in, and the curve of the body and slipperiness of the shell makes it really tough to get out, even once it's defrosted. They can't just bounce it on the ground, either. So I put something gooey in the cavity, shove in the prawn, then fill gaps with more goo. I bet you could do the same with a halloumi-type cheese, too, or whole bits of raw carrot if he'll eat that (mine would NOT!). Basically anything that is bigger than the hole itself, so you have to really shove it in.

@snowbunny I have done in the past, but not so much lately. Carbon eats anything - loves carrots, lettuce. cucumber, etc. so I could certainly try to get creative. When I've worked to get things in before (I used to do salmon skins a lot) he sure had no problems getting them out.

Carbon says, "Si, si, but if you didn't STARVE me on a regular basis I would not be so motivated to get everything out, no?" :rolleyes:

I've looked at these, but like @MrChew said, they are really expensive here.

I really need something that's practically inaccessible.
When you find this unicorn, let me know!! The lickit mat doesn't last as long as a I hoped, and she bites at it, so after only a few uses the little pattern is torn :cautious:

I recently bought this: Petstages® Peanut Stuffer Treat Holder Chew - Peanut Butter | dog Interactive Toys | PetSmart and it definitely doesn't last longer at all.

Naya

Never seen these before @Naya, what size did you say you got.
I got a small and a large one. I use the small as frozen as harder to get into, so ultimately takes her longer to demolish. The large one I use for her raw food which takes about 5 minutes to demolish. You can also put the two sizes together and they have to work out how to take it apart before they can properly get into them.

@snowbunny I have done in the past, but not so much lately. Carbon eats anything - loves carrots, lettuce. cucumber, etc. so I could certainly try to get creative. When I've worked to get things in before (I used to do salmon skins a lot) he sure had no problems getting them out.

Carbon says, "Si, si, but if you didn't STARVE me on a regular basis I would not be so motivated to get everything out, no?"
Emily, have you tried smearing something like chicken fat round the inside? I find that works well as it seems to take ages to lick away, rather than just a piece of something which she can drag out. Not that she has them very often thesedays, but I do keep a couple in the freezer as they do come in handy.

Emily, have you tried smearing something like chicken fat round the inside? I find that works well as it seems to take ages to lick away, rather than just a piece of something which she can drag out. Not that she has them very often thesedays, but I do keep a couple in the freezer as they do come in handy.
I smear peanut butter or liver paste sometimes, but have never tried chicken fat. Where do you even get chicken fat if you don't...um...have the rest of the chicken?