Bit of a problem or maybe not ?

Reuben has never humped , not us or other dogs but he has very recently started to sniff other dogs rear ends and undercarriage , male and female . This morning, his friend Henry growled at him for doing it , his owner was cross with her dog for growling but I said no , she mustnt be cross, he was basically telling Reubs to pxss off in the only way he knew how to . Do I carry on distracting him, as one of these days he will get more than he bargained for ? His ball is the very best reward for Reuben , so maybe just produce it when he starts to go in for the sniff ?
 
Willow is rather intolerant to being sniffed. I think it is perfectly normal behaviour to sniff those parts as a part of a greeting ritual, but would distract him if it went on for longer than a couple of seconds, as some dogs find it very rude when it is prolonged.

Growling (as you know) is absolutely fine, normal dog communication to let Reuben know that he'd had enough. Some dogs will let it go on for a long time, some unbothered by it, some perturbed but not wanting to do anything about it. It was a good learning experience for Reuben to know that he was stepping close to the line of acceptability.
 
Hunter started doing this at the 12 month mark (he is also intact). It is a tough one but I let the dog tell Hunter off. but I am always on high alert if I do not recognise the dog/owner. Also if it going on for too long I step in (hmm easier said than done!). Older lady dogs are very good at telling him off and giving him boundaries.
After the sniffing of doggie parts, around 14 months, the "humping" started.....not trying to worry you Kate!
They have to learn and as @snowbunny says sniffing is all part of their social system.
 
As we are going on holiday in October I have arranged a sleeping place for Finn with someone who owns a dog walking company and will let Finn stay in his own house. As he wanted to meet Finn we arranged that Finn would go for a sleepover. So off he went with other dogs to the beach. There was a female dog Finn found very interesting and he sniffled the whole walk at her private parts. The man found it annoying and asked me if Finn was doing this often. I can’t recall I said. The dog was also not amused he said, but she didn’t tell him off.....The man even put his behavior on video.
 
Thanks all , I will watch out for any signs of humping , so far so good ! Ironically we met the two manic Labradoodles on our very wet walk this afternoon , no sniffing at all , one is male , the other is a spayed female but Reubs just played with them . I dont want him to become a sniffing privates pest so will distract after a few seconds as you suggest @snowbunny and I certainly dont mind him being put firmly in his place x
 

Naya

Moderator
Location
Bristol, UK
I would definitely distract him if it continues for more than a few seconds. Harley would growl if a dog sniffed her too much, but I would much prefer to distract the other dog before that happens so as to not cause a potential issue.
 
Top