Holly at the vet again

Hollysdad

Administrator
Staff member
Holly's finished her week of enforced rest and moved onto light walks at the weekend. Today we did 30 min of gently sniffing walk around the estate. It's nice and flat, and there are plenty of grassy patches for her to sniff.

Front right seems to be moving nicely, but her back left is doing something strange. When she's walking slowly she turns it inwards. It also occasionally scrapes on the pavement. Her gait is normal when trotting at normal speed.

We need to keep an eye on this.

Hollysdad

Administrator
Staff member
Check her back? How old is she now? Are he nails on the wobbly foot scuffed? If you knuckle it over does she correct it quickly herself?
Her back seems OK. Normal mobility, quite happy to bend and squirm. There are no lumps. The nails are worn, but no different to the back right. I think this is a watch and wait for now.

She's seven years old and active, not in a manic playful way but she loves long long walks and swimming.

If she will stand for you stand at her head facing you and gentle work down her spine. Apply gentle pressure with your thumbs along her spine starting at the head end working to the tail. She may dip slightly if you find a sore spot. You don't have to do it hard but you can by gently feeling your way find down her spine identify a hurty bit. Sadly (don't tell Holly) she a middle aged lady and they can pull things. She's very fit and healthy but do you use any supplements,. Just to help with her joints ligaments ? I've found them very useful as mine have got older.

Hollysdad

Administrator
Staff member
If she will stand for you stand at her head facing you and gentle work down her spine. Apply gentle pressure with your thumbs along her spine starting at the head end working to the tail. She may dip slightly if you find a sore spot. You don't have to do it hard but you can by gently feeling your way find down her spine identify a hurty bit. Sadly (don't tell Holly) she a middle aged lady and they can pull things. She's very fit and healthy but do you use any supplements,. Just to help with her joints ligaments ? I've found them very useful as mine have got older.
There were no sore spots on her back. I'm inclining towards a small problem with knee or hips. We'll stick with the vet's advice of gentle walks and keep an eye on her.

Hollysdad

Administrator
Staff member
Is Holly improving Phil?
She's moving much more easily, thanks. We've been taking one or two short walks around the estate each day to give her some air and a bit of mental stimulus. Now that lockdown rules are easing in Wales we're thinking of taking her to the Dog Dip tomorrow. Its about an hour's round trip with a swim in the middle. I think she'll enjoy the change.