Lisa
Moderator
- Location
- Alberta, Canada
Grrr...Saturday night we had a lovely family dinner and my OH smoked a pork roast. Num!
That night Simba was up and wanting to go outside about 3 AM, I let him outside. Normally I lie down on the couch and after 10 minutes or so call him back in. Most times he comes running, but some times he needs the extra incentive ofthe sound of a crunchie hitting the deck to bring him in. So, tried the crunchy. Nothing. Hmmm.
I get some shoes on and go exploring - he had disappeared around the corner of the garage, which isn’t surprising as that is where he usually does his toileting. I have my
iPhone on flashlight and am shining it around. Nothing....except, wait! What’s that in our vegetable garden, the same garden around which we have a six foot fence and which we had reinforced the chicken wire fencing and gate this spring to keep a certain dog out?
Yes, it’s Simba, blinking at me from inside the fence. Huh?
ok, I let him out. We go inside. I have a hard time falling asleep, puzzling this over. Why is he in there? How did he get in? About an hour later, he’s whining at the bedroom door again. Dang it!! Fine, he must have the runs, I think.Up I get, out he goes, but this time I follow him, to see what he’s doing and hopefully see how he’s getting in the garden.
nope. He looks at me following him and gives me a look like “Huh? What you doing?”has small wee, wanders around sniffing until I get fed up and herd him inside. An hour later it’s 5 AM and he’s at it again.
I throw him outside and retreat to the couch and fall asleep (finally).
Next morning (yesterday) I’m explaining all this to OH (who of course slept through it all). He sheepishly admits that he threw the grease from the roast at the back of the garden as he figured Simba couldn’t get it!! Hah! Never underestimate the power of a Lab’s determination!!
So...last night. We had a big downpour during the day, and I think surely whatever goodies were in the garden are gone.
But no, last night at 4 AM he was out again, and again I had to go looking to find him in the garden.
He’s only doing this at night. Not in the day. Aaarrgh.
That night Simba was up and wanting to go outside about 3 AM, I let him outside. Normally I lie down on the couch and after 10 minutes or so call him back in. Most times he comes running, but some times he needs the extra incentive ofthe sound of a crunchie hitting the deck to bring him in. So, tried the crunchy. Nothing. Hmmm.
I get some shoes on and go exploring - he had disappeared around the corner of the garage, which isn’t surprising as that is where he usually does his toileting. I have my
iPhone on flashlight and am shining it around. Nothing....except, wait! What’s that in our vegetable garden, the same garden around which we have a six foot fence and which we had reinforced the chicken wire fencing and gate this spring to keep a certain dog out?
Yes, it’s Simba, blinking at me from inside the fence. Huh?
ok, I let him out. We go inside. I have a hard time falling asleep, puzzling this over. Why is he in there? How did he get in? About an hour later, he’s whining at the bedroom door again. Dang it!! Fine, he must have the runs, I think.Up I get, out he goes, but this time I follow him, to see what he’s doing and hopefully see how he’s getting in the garden.
nope. He looks at me following him and gives me a look like “Huh? What you doing?”has small wee, wanders around sniffing until I get fed up and herd him inside. An hour later it’s 5 AM and he’s at it again.
I throw him outside and retreat to the couch and fall asleep (finally).
Next morning (yesterday) I’m explaining all this to OH (who of course slept through it all). He sheepishly admits that he threw the grease from the roast at the back of the garden as he figured Simba couldn’t get it!! Hah! Never underestimate the power of a Lab’s determination!!
So...last night. We had a big downpour during the day, and I think surely whatever goodies were in the garden are gone.
But no, last night at 4 AM he was out again, and again I had to go looking to find him in the garden.

He’s only doing this at night. Not in the day. Aaarrgh.




