No pooping!

Hi friends! Justen, Aspen and I have moved out of our house and are now living at the family cabin until we find a new place to live. I am getting really frustrated because we used to have a fenced-in yard, but at this cabin we don't have a fence so I have been taking Aspen on leashed walks around the neighborhood because I don't trust just letting him out - he will run after two girl dogs in the neighborhood.

So, my problem is that Aspen seems to be way too into sniffing on these walks, and he'll stop to pee, but he hasn't pooped in 24 hours at this point! I'm a worried mom because Aspen poops like clockwork just about everyday. One poo in the morning after breakfast and then another after dinner or bedtime snack. He almost pooped like three times today on our walk but then just kept walking and sniffing. I stopped and waited for him each time he made a stop in hopes he would poop, but he did nothing. I don't know why he is doing this but it's kind of driving me crazy! He's walked through this neighborhood many times before and usually he has no problem pooping on walks. I don't know what his deal is. He just won't poop.
 

Emily_Babbelhund

Mama Red HOT Pepper
When Brogan and I moved to Venice for the first time - no grass, had to go on concrete - he didn't poo for 1,5 days. Ditto for Paris, the first time he had lived in an apartment vs. a house with a fenced yard. Didn't poo for at 48 hours hours. I used to say he was on poo strike. He got over it, so will Aspen. Eventually they just explode - hopefully not literally.

What I do highly recommend is teaching him to poo on cue so that you can get it over with where you want and when you want. Just decide on a cue and then when he starts to go (finally), say the cue over and over in an encouraging voice. Then once he's done his poo, reward him with some super high value treats and lots of praise. Rinse and repeat for a few weeks and voila...you've got a dog with a poo cue. It is SO useful, especially when you are stuck with on leash only elimination.
 
Top