Scent discrimination

I've decided to start training towards the Fenzi TEAM titles; it's something that works on precision across several disciplines, so will be good for improving my training skills. One of the things you have to do for the first level is scent discrimination, which I've never done before. I've just started working on a sustained nose touch which will be my initial alert; in time, I'll change this to a retrieve for some articles, but I want to differentiate the pattern from a retrieve pattern at this stage.
The great thing about this particular thing is I can get Ginny involved as well; I can struggle to include her in my training sometimes, as much of what I do is a bit too physical for her, but I've got her targeting the lid of a plastic tub this morning. She loves learning, it's lovely to see her working things out :)
 

HAH

Moderator
Location
Devon, UK
I really like the sound of the Fenzi TEAM work, I’m going to look into it more as we’re having a re-think about training- sounds the sort of cross disciplinary work that would fit the bill perfectly.

So pleased this is a ‘Ginny friendly’ activity, maybe with her background scenting might really suit her skills? Keep us posted, would love to hear more :)
 

Beanwood

Administrator
Now that sounds interesting, especially with Ginny's hunting genes...she will love it!

I am thinking along the same lines with Casper, he has such a good hunting/game finding nose, it would be good to look at something like this to keep him happy and content in his later years.
 

Joy

Location
East Sussex
I remember seeing these Fenzi Team levels two or three years ago - and then forgetting about it! I like the idea of having a go. Especially good as you don't seem to need lots of space.
 
Top