Sheep herding using positive reinforcement

HAH

My OH just showed me this article (Shropshire farmer becomes first person to train sheep to associate drone with food) about a sheep farmer using a drone to manoeuvre his flock by pairing the sound of the drone with rewards. This is in contrast to drones being used to herd sheep from behind using ‘barking’ noises. I really like the way they describe the different behavioural training approaches:
"The drone frightening mode quickly becomes ineffective the more you use it.
"Sheep are prey species and responsive to possible threats. They are described as stoic and don't want to give away that they're injured - something prey animals exhibit - because if predators think they can't run away as quickly, then they'll target that sheep.
"They run away from the drone initially then quickly realise it's not a threat and ignore it. But the more positive reinforcement is used, the more effective it becomes.”

My OH just showed me this article (Shropshire farmer becomes first person to train sheep to associate drone with food) about a sheep farmer using a drone to manoeuvre his flock by pairing the sound of the drone with rewards. This is in contrast to drones being used to herd sheep from behind using ‘barking’ noises. I really like the way they describe the different behavioural training approaches:
"The drone frightening mode quickly becomes ineffective the more you use it.
"Sheep are prey species and responsive to possible threats. They are described as stoic and don't want to give away that they're injured - something prey animals exhibit - because if predators think they can't run away as quickly, then they'll target that sheep.
"They run away from the drone initially then quickly realise it's not a threat and ignore it. But the more positive reinforcement is used, the more effective it becomes.”
I saw this on TV, interesting watching the sheep.

Reactions: HAH

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Excellent article. I've trained dogs, rats (fancy), a couple of ferrets and cats positively in my years. In fact I am now trying my hand with a couple of fish. Yes, I am completely mad but it seems to work whatever the species so it makes perfect sense to try it whatever animal you have.
Really though, don't we all respond best to positive reinforcement?

One of my cats came in with a head wound today and because I had trained him as a kitten and reinforced it throughout, I was able to examine the wound before calling our vet. Basically, he was offered a treat and then I waited until he touched my hand with his paw. During the examination he stopped me a couple of times so treats were offered and again I waited until he let me know I could continue.
Now, this cat isn't the brightest cat so I reckon if he can be trained to do this then any animal probably can be.