Alfie came to visit

Is cava the same as what we have in Fiji? It's made from a special tree bark and it's what the locals drink instead of alcohol. I'm probably way off track here but thought I'd ask :p
No it's like pretend champagne.
:shock:

Pretend!! How DARE you!! :giggl:

But, yes, it's the Spanish version of fizzy white wine. It can't be called "Champagne" unless it comes from the Champagne region of France. So, just as the French from other regions have different names for their fizz, the Italians have their Prosecco and the Portuguese have their Espumante, so the Spanish have cava. Which I far prefer to Champagne, as it happens. I can't bear the whole "point" of Champagne which is that the bubbles fill your mouth. To me, that's just unpleasant. Give me a nice Blanquette de Limoux with its far more delicate bubbles any day - but, preferably a nice dry Spanish cava. The Spanish do wine so much better than the French.

See that can of worms, all spilling out everywhere... :giggl:
 

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
:shock:

Pretend!! How DARE you!! :giggl:

But, yes, it's the Spanish version of fizzy white wine. It can't be called "Champagne" unless it comes from the Champagne region of France. So, just as the French from other regions have different names for their fizz, the Italians have their Prosecco and the Portuguese have their Espumante, so the Spanish have cava. Which I far prefer to Champagne, as it happens. I can't bear the whole "point" of Champagne which is that the bubbles fill your mouth. To me, that's just unpleasant. Give me a nice Blanquette de Limoux with its far more delicate bubbles any day - but, preferably a nice dry Spanish cava. The Spanish do wine so much better than the French.

See that can of worms, all spilling out everywhere... :giggl:
Oooh, you stirrer you! Norty!:rofl:
 
:shock:

Pretend!! How DARE you!! :giggl:

But, yes, it's the Spanish version of fizzy white wine. It can't be called "Champagne" unless it comes from the Champagne region of France. So, just as the French from other regions have different names for their fizz, the Italians have their Prosecco and the Portuguese have their Espumante, so the Spanish have cava. Which I far prefer to Champagne, as it happens. I can't bear the whole "point" of Champagne which is that the bubbles fill your mouth. To me, that's just unpleasant. Give me a nice Blanquette de Limoux with its far more delicate bubbles any day - but, preferably a nice dry Spanish cava. The Spanish do wine so much better than the French.

See that can of worms, all spilling out everywhere... :giggl:
As long as it's not too sweet and made by the 'Méthode Traditionelle' then I don't really care what it's called!

I'm a wine whore though - red, white, rose, sparkling - I'm not fussy as long as it's not sweet.
 

Lab_adore

Moderator
Staff member
As long as it's not too sweet and made by the 'Méthode Traditionelle' then I don't really care what it's called!

I'm a wine whore though - red, white, rose, sparkling - I'm not fussy as long as it's not sweet.
I'm even less fussy - I even like some sweet wines occasionally (depends on the occasion and what is being eaten). ABC all the way here (Anything But Chardonnay - ick).
 
Top