Alpha Spirit

I bought some of this to try out as training treats when I need something other than their regular home-made food pureed in a squeezy tube. The Fish4Dogs food I have been using is really too big for lots of things, so thought I'd give this a go.

Alpha Spirit The Only One Fish

The dogs all go loopy for it. It's really high value, which is great because it's also got pretty nice ingredients. It's expensive as far as dog food goes but I figure when you work out the price per 100g, it's far better value than normal shop-bought treats. The pieces are soft and easily broken apart, and the smell is great. It says on the bag, "This bag of food has been made with 37.2kg of fresh fish from the fish markets of the nearby coast. One kg of food is therefore manufactured using 3.1kg of fresh fish.". Lovely marketing, I don't believe for a minute it's as romantic as they make out :D
Still, if the dogs like it and it appears to be reasonably healthy, then I'm happy to use it for training.

Beanwood

Administrator
Oh like it! Having a big rethink on diet, which has meant playing around a bit, and I think a mild intolerance has popped up with Casper, I think to beef, on closer examination of the raw, and the guru cold pressed I found beef... which is something I have avoided in the past

So back to fish and turkey with Casper...

The only thing I'm not sure about is the "hydrolysed starch". I need to do some more reading around that. They are going completely bonkers for it. Squidge jumped up and stuck her head in my treat bag this morning. She doesn't do that for fish sticks, hotdogs or anything like that. It might just be the novelty of course, but the Fish4Dogs food didn't have the same effect.

My lot are all on a pretty fish-based diet at the moment. Luna is having pork ribs, fish or rabbit for her lunch while the rest might have chicken carcass more often than not, but they are all eating a fish and veg stew for their "meals", which I also blitz down for the treat tubes. They absolutely adore it - Ginny can be a bit funny with food; after enjoying the meat meals I started off making, she went off that a bit, but she's totally hooked on the fish stew. You've never seen a cleaner bowl :)

Beanwood

Administrator
The only thing I'm not sure about is the "hydrolysed starch". I need to do some more reading around that.
I wonder if it's something to do with their alternative method of processing compared vs extruding the kibble? They mention "pre-digestion" so are using natural enzymes to break down the raw ingredients? Hydrolysed usually makes a food more bioavailable and easier for the gut to absorb nutrients... (larger molecules to smaller molecules). Well, that was the part of the conversation I had with the vet when Blake needed a prescription diet for a while. Very interesting stuff!

I had a chat with the makers of Guru a couple of days ago, (cold compressed kibble) just needed to understand how it was made, the ingredients, and the difference between digestibility vs the usual kibble. Mainly as I am looking a bit more closely at diet right now, and the best kibble to dovetail into a homecooked regime.(few problems with Casper) Bless them, I wasn't angling for a sample but when I mentioned I had 3 labradors sent me a 5kg sack to try for free plus a bag of salmon treats! :)

Oh like it! Having a big rethink on diet, which has meant playing around a bit, and I think a mild intolerance has popped up with Casper, I think to beef, on closer examination of the raw, and the guru cold pressed I found beef... which is something I have avoided in the past

So back to fish and turkey with Casper...
One of mine is on a fish diet. The best kibble I have found so far is Essential Nautical Living. All my dogs love it!! Excellent customer service and I also like the company's ethical side, i.e. how they support rescue centres. One of them in Spain, a rescue for Galgos and Podencos.

Beanwood

Administrator
One of mine is on a fish diet. The best kibble I have found so far is Essential Nautical Living. All my dogs love it!! Excellent customer service and I also like the company's ethical side, i.e. how they support rescue centres. One of them in Spain, a rescue for Galgos and Podencos.
I do like this one! :)

Emily_Babbelhund

Mama Red HOT Pepper
Thank you for this! Carbon is on fish when I feed kibble for traveling so I'm always looking for good grain-free fish-based kibble. And supporting Galgos and Podencos, icing on the cake. :)(y)

Jacqui-S

Stanley’s on Canagan, Emily! It’s a little bit expensive but it does Stanley well

https://www.canagan.co.uk/canagan-scottish-salmon-for-dogs.html
I think my OH would have a fit at the price of that one.
He already thinks our Simpson's 80:20 grain free is overpriced. At about £44-45 for 12kg from zooplus
I used the mixed meat and fish which is less expensive but they do a mixed fish without the meat too. I guess it's prices with your others.
Simpson's Premium 80/20 Mixed Fish 12kg

I tried it in the Treat & Train this morning with Willow. It worked OK, although a few bits got jammed. I think you need to split any slightly longer pieces in two, which is easy to do with your fingers.

Made some great progress using it with the car :)

HAH

I bought some of this to try out as training treats when I need something other than their regular home-made food pureed in a squeezy tube. The Fish4Dogs food I have been using is really too big for lots of things, so thought I'd give this a go.

Alpha Spirit The Only One Fish

The dogs all go loopy for it. It's really high value, which is great because it's also got pretty nice ingredients. It's expensive as far as dog food goes but I figure when you work out the price per 100g, it's far better value than normal shop-bought treats. The pieces are soft and easily broken apart, and the smell is great. It says on the bag, "This bag of food has been made with 37.2kg of fresh fish from the fish markets of the nearby coast. One kg of food is therefore manufactured using 3.1kg of fresh fish.". Lovely marketing, I don't believe for a minute it's as romantic as they make out :D
Still, if the dogs like it and it appears to be reasonably healthy, then I'm happy to use it for training.
Are you still using this @snowbunny ? Is it still popular with the pack? I'm thinking of getting a bag to pep up training, if I can stomach the smell - I have a suspish that Kipper might be keen on fish...

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
I use a variety of Fish4Dogs kibble and treats for Red. Her main protein is turkey but all her treats are fish. I use their small kibble mainly but their medium kibble for a higher reward. Occasionally I buy a variety of their treats. She loves it all. Both dogs absolutely adore the fish cubes which they get at bedtime.

Reactions: HAH
In terms of treats I’ve never found anything more high value for Stanley than aldi bisky bones.

They’re like 89p a box and a buy 4 every 2 weeks.

He absolutely adores them and goes bonkers for them 🙈

Reactions: HAH