Antlers

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
She has beakers that the Kongs fit into. She fills them with dry kibble, then fills the beaker with water. Once the kibble has swelled up, she drains the remaining water and pops the Kongs in the freezer. No effort, no mess!
I used to do that for Sky (following @Boogie’s idea). It worked well for her as a senior dog and was quick but the wet food one is just as quick and can take 30 minutes for Red to empty.

Meant to say @Jessica - I always pick the empty kong up once finished and hold it under fast running hot water. Any missed bits come straight out. I then leave it on draining board for a bit, then place on the windowsill sideways on. At the end of the day there are 3 there, ready to be filled again the next morning for the freezer. I have 6 altogether so there are always 3 solid frozen ones at any point

@Boogie has the best method! She has beakers that the Kongs fit into. She fills them with dry kibble, then fills the beaker with water. Once the kibble has swelled up, she drains the remaining water and pops the Kongs in the freezer. No effort, no mess!
@Jessica I learnt this early on in my forum life, I can say too that it works a treat and is very easy and mess free.
Not that has many these days, but I like to have a couple in the freezer just in case !

She still has the red ones she had as a puppy, well until Reeva chewed the end off!!
They are so different in every respect.

Coming in late to this , a Vet friend advised strongly against all antlers , so that was that . Reuben isnt a chewer , neither is Nelly so I`ve never bothered with an alternative , but recently I was digging over one of the borders and dug up a revolting old anco root that Sam must have buried , it wasnt a pretty sight x

I have bought some yak chews for the girls for Christmas (shhh... don’t tell them!!) as they’ve been recommended by my friend. No idea yet whether the girls will be interested in them!
I believe that when they get much smaller, you can put them in the microwave and they will puff up and the dog will be able to just crunch the rest of it!
Never tried it but my friend says it works so will be interested to see how it goes.

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
I have bought some yak chews for the girls for Christmas (shhh... don’t tell them!!) as they’ve been recommended by my friend. No idea yet whether the girls will be interested in them!
I believe that when they get much smaller, you can put them in the microwave and they will puff up and the dog will be able to just crunch the rest of it!
Never tried it but my friend says it works so will be interested to see how it goes.
I bought Joy a Yak chew when she was a Veryvery bitey and chewy pup. The lad in the shop said that if I microwaved it, it would last for days. I did, and it was gone in half an hour :shock: so I didn't get another one!
Fortunately that phase didn't last very long, although it felt like it at the time and now she is the best little dog in the Whole Wide World, with no chewing whatsoever!:inlove:

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
I used to do that for Sky (following @Boogie’s idea). It worked well for her as a senior dog and was quick but the wet food one is just as quick and can take 30 minutes for Red to empty.

Meant to say @Jessica - I always pick the empty kong up once finished and hold it under fast running hot water. Any missed bits come straight out. I then leave it on draining board for a bit, then place on the windowsill sideways on. At the end of the day there are 3 there, ready to be filled again the next morning for the freezer. I have 6 altogether so there are always 3 solid frozen ones at any point
Sounds remarkably like my system!

For kongs, I make at least 6 or 8 at a time. I have a large balti dish and I stack them up in the dish. If the mix is a bit runny ( I normally use homemade food )I plug the end from the outside with a smear of peanut butter, cream cheese or even a piece of meat. I spin the balti dish around, two spoons of food in each, followed by a handful of kibble, then a bit more wet food to the top. If I've got room in the freezer I freeze them straight in the bowl, if not I put in reusable freezer zipper bags. It is a small faff and I only make them once or twice a week. I'm also on the look out for other things to put in kongs. Fish cubes are great, you can jam 3 in and it takes mine a good 10 to 15 minutes to get them out.

Kongs aren't indestructible, but I buy them from one site for just 5.99 each so I'm happy to replace them every 3 or 4 months.

Rorys interest in eating weird stuff resurfaced he ran off taking Iver with him to eat paint. Yes lovely yummy paint. Some human piece of sh*t had dumped a bag of white paint on n the park tray roller and brush. Rory had it so Iver snatched it. It was every where. Iver also ran into a tree. He now has a black eye with broken skin. What a bloody morning

He's eaten paint before. I spoke to the vet they think it will be ok. It looked like water based emulsion.the paint washed off their fur and me and I was their mouths. They could if they've injested some have an upset tummy

Ugh, that's a stressful morning. It's good that the vet thinks it will be ok and that it was emulsion. They probably weren't able to actually eat very much of it, but even getting it into their noses must be horrible for them. People leave the worst stuff lying around, I am always getting furious about the things that our dogs turn up.

A few days ago Brodie was running around with a small plastic bag in his mouth full of small white things - at a distance I was freaking out that he had found a bag of drugs. When he came up to me it turned out to be a tiny bag of popcorn that a kid must have dropped. That's nowhere near the worst thing we've encountered but just the latest weird one.

Hope Rory and Iver don't have any ill-effects.