Cassie's Gundog training log

Get an Acme 211 1/2 for a labrador/retriever. The 210 1/2 is traditionally used by spaniel handlers
I was advised by the chap I started out having gundog training with to get a 210.5 and I remember the lady in Sporting Saint being surprised when I went to buy one and saying that's usually for spaniels. I often wonder about trying a 211.5, would it make any difference to her do you think?

Stick with whatever whistle you already have. I have always used a 210 1/2 for my spaniels and even if I amever going to train a Labrador I would still use the 210 1/2 as I like the pitch. But anyone starting completely from scratch training a lab to the whistle then get the 211 1/2. I think it carries a bit further than the 210 1/2.

Did you go straight into gun dog work at your first session, or did the trainer do what mine has done and check how much other 'basic' stuff Cassie had first?
Just been having a think, it's a year now !
I guess because I had done a bit of training with what now I see as "crossover" trainers, we had done stuff like sit/stay and heel. But the retrieving went awol, and I had started to build it up slowly myself. So she said to join the appropriate group, which I did, my biggest issue being how distracted she gets by other dogs :(.

We've come so far in 12 months, it's such a thrill seeing how much Cass enjoys retrieving now. Sometimes she looks crestfallen when I put the dummies away. We are working currently on retrieving in different environments, after her excursion in the sugar beet! She needs to learn to "work" wherever :)

Ah, right, thanks. I asked for a couple of sessions on our own because Molly is so desperate to play with other dogs, all sense goes out the window and she ignores me so, hopefully, at some point our trainer will tell me Molls is ready to join a group.

You've done so well with Cassie, she is obviously a happy dog with an interesting, full life. This is what Molly really needs.

I asked for a couple of sessions on our own because Molly is so desperate to play with other dogs, all sense goes out the window and she ignores me so, hopefully, at some point our trainer will tell me Molls is ready to join a group.
I'm sure that's a good idea, gives you all a chance to see where you're at, as it were. As I say, I still have issues with Cass and other dogs, but there are signs she is improving. It wouldn't be a problem in daily life, it's manageable, but is when GD training, especially if a new dog is there, initially. I have a trainer coming to help me soon.
I'm sure your trainer will help you through it and Molly will be flying. I look back and think about seeing video's from the like of @Beanwood and @Lara_Pigletina and thinking Cassie would never do what Bramble and the Pig were doing - long marks and blinds etc, but now she is!. So pleased I didn't give up:) Those things are what spurred me on!