Crate ideas

Primrose has now turned to destroying blankets (all types). As a result, her crate is now bare as she has chewed every option (thin mat, crate mat, dog beds, blankets, towels). However, she is not comfortable and now waking up overnight and very early mornings multiple times. It's not bathroom related and the only change is no comfort in her crate. Any ideas on something chew-proof (or at least fairly durable) I can try? I know in the UK 'vet bed' is popular, but I can't source any here. I'm thinking a cut of fleece from the fabric store...I have also read that a plank of wood can keep them warmer than plastic crate bottom. She is not trustworthy to not be in her crate overnight at this point.

Is she actually eating and swallowing them? Only because if she isn't, and is just tearing them up, you could use old ' sacrificial' towels and blankets from charity shops, or donated by friends, just to give her some padding and accept they will get discarded after a week or so. But I accept this doesn't break the habit.
What about a heavy duty but cheap runner/ mat ? Those would be much more difficult to chew and be a bit softer.

Fleece that's all the boys have in crates it's safest. They like sleeping on the plastic crate bottoms too. They are savages though. We don't have dog beds any more they prefer the sofa or the floor.

Fleece is more chewable than vetbed, I think, so maybe try it when you can monitor her at first. Maybe a flat-ish cushion covered with a thick, non-chewable fabric? Having seen my neighbour’s door frame and door chewed by their lab puppy I’m not sure about using a plank of wood!
Is the crate on a stone floor? If so, try to insulate it a bit by putting board or folded old blanket or towel underneath the crate tray. Is her crate covered (old blanket or towel) to make it cosy and dark, like a den? I hope you find something comfy to settle her.

Fleece is more chewable than vetbed, I think, so maybe try it when you can monitor her at first. Maybe a flat-ish cushion covered with a thick, non-chewable fabric? Having seen my neighbour’s door frame and door chewed by their lab puppy I’m not sure about using a plank of wood!
Is the crate on a stone floor? If so, try to insulate it a bit by putting board or folded old blanket or towel underneath the crate tray. Is her crate covered (old blanket or towel) to make it cosy and dark, like a den? I hope you find something comfy to settle her.
We call vetbed fleece. Sorry

Is she actually eating and swallowing them?
She is swallowing some - as noted in her poo. I don't want to allow it because I'm not sure how much she would swallow if she was left to her own devices - I could hear her and stopped it each time. I thought about a runner - she tries to chew the outdoor mat we have...she's honestly willing to shred anything she can get her mouth on! I might try one and see what she does with it in the day time.

cosy and dark, like a den
Yes, it's covered! I think I will try fleece - if there is no seam it might be less desirable!

They like sleeping on the plastic crate bottoms too.
When she's hot she pushes to the plastic, but has always rested her head on something softer!

Reactions: HAH
She is swallowing some - as noted in her poo. I don't want to allow it because I'm not sure how much she would swallow if she was left to her own devices - I could hear her and stopped it each time. I thought about a runner - she tries to chew the outdoor mat we have...she's honestly willing to shred anything she can get her mouth on! I might try one and see what she does with it in the day time.

Yes, it's covered! I think I will try fleece - if there is no seam it might be less desirable!

When she's hot she pushes to the plastic, but has always rested her head on something softer!
Mine have special velvet cushions for their heads🤭 no they do. Ivers is green

HAH

It’sa bit of a basic one, but have you had her teeth checked? I wonder if there’s something behind the chewing.

Would having something like a frozen kong in her crate stop this maybe? Or would you worry to much about her eating g the kong too? 😕
It happens when she wakes up before I hear her - so boredom or frustration. The kong would be long gone by then! She happily goes in for naps, to sleep or when we go out - it’s when she’s ready to come out that’s the problem!