Embarrassing moments with my dog 😳

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
Oh dear, two things happened on Monday. We went for a long walk from Hunstanton to Heacham - down the promenade, on the beach, in the dunes, up the sand track.

Embarrassing moment one: Ahead of us on the beach, we could see a gathering of people and Labradors (bit like a MLF meet up). Red spied them from afar, decided she needed to be with them and shot off like lightening. Useless calling her (too far) and I thought using the whistle a bit OTT so we carried on walking getting closer. We could see her leaping around, zoomying, having a great time with about 8 other Labs. Then I saw a ball 🎾 being thrown. Knowing how 🎾 obsessed she is, It didn’t surprise me she chased after it. Then she ran off with it! The people didn‘t look too pleased at that point that an outsider had come in and stolen their ball. All our cries of ‘leave it’ ignored - she was way too excited. So I got her 🎾 out my bag, shouted ‘ball’ as loud as I could and she dropped theirs and ran after her own. Phew 😌. Everyone was laughing and it was good to share a moment only us Labrador owners can appreciate.

(There was the most adorable black Lab pup who came running after us - he looked about 3 months. When they called him, he shot straight back to them - good dog).

Embarrassing moment two: As we walked at the back of the dunes, Red shot over the top and didn‘t come when she was called. F sprinted up the dunes and I could hear him calling her. He shouted to me ‘blow the whistle’ which I dutifully did from behind the dunes. When I got to the top, Red was far out to sea swimming with a (long distance?) swimmer. My heart dropped but then the swimmer 🏊‍♂️ turned to the shore and steered her in before he carried on swimming down the coast. We shouted sorry and our thanks. I bet he wasn’t happy having a crazy dog suddenly swimming with him but we were grateful he did that. Worrying she swam so far out to say hello to him 🙄.

Fortunately, she was a model dog the rest of the time 🙂

Literally both those exact scenarios have happened with Quinn!! I can recall her once from a ball game, but if she gets a second chance to go, she's gone and she always always steals the ball. She gives it, and wants it thrown. She will dance around escaping me if someone else throws for her. And good luck to the other dogs - she never misses and will run herself into the ground to win it. Nightmare brat. It just happened last week. I don't even get embarrassed anymore.

She has also swam out to a swimmer before, and he was also not pleased! It's like she's making sure everyone is ok, she circles a few times and will come back. I don't like it - it's too far out and can be wavy. Her other weird thing is that she chases and swims after jetskis. We don't know why. As soon as she hears one, she is laser focused, follows it, runs up and down the shore and will go after it. I keep her leashed if there are any in the area now.

Yes that’s Red precisely 😟
I try and make a joke of it and yell out "don't throw it for her unless you want a new dog" if I'm close enough. I've also asked strangers to hold her until I get there...truly, I have no shame. :rolleyes:

Oh, and she ran into our neighbours house a couple weeks ago...I guess just checking things out! She's a really good girl though...honestly, so good like 98% of the time. Plus really cute.

Sam actually ambushed a picnic , and helped himself in a sort of fly past . He ran off , mouth full of stuff , me approaching the poor people on the bench at Golitha , seconds to decide what to do . The man of the party called out to me ` Did you see what that dog just did ? ` Yes , I replied , Its disgusting , completely out of control :facepalm: And all the while , I prayed that Sam would not suddenly reappear and race back to me ( he didnt ) x

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Joy is also a dreadful ball thief. I always carry a spare now, as she will happily leave another dog's ball if she can see her own. It's quite possibly her only 'fault ' though, so I can't really complain. Oh, and rolling, yes, the rolling! :tmi: Otherwise she's a Veryvery GoodGirl!

Red sounds like she was having great fun though, most lab owners are pretty forgiving, they've probably all had similar experiences.

Maisy used to chase footballs and ran off with a little boy's ball when she was much younger, as soon as she picked it up I could hear it puncture, poor little fella was crying his eyes out. She has stopped doing that but will always greet someone pockets first, after all if you've got pockets there must be something good in them right? Thankfully she is not a crotch-sniffer.

We used to call moo c interuptus dog as she made a habit of this. One woman screamed as she put her hand out and found a furry black head and a licky puppy tongue it really made me laugh I mean what she imagine it was. Moo was so funny, always doing silly stuff. I just really miss her some days.