New home for Toy

A couple of years ago, when I was helping out at the shelter, we had a litter of eight Podenco puppies come in, that had been abandoned at only four weeks of age. This was around the time of the transition from the bad management to the good one, so all the puppies were found homes.
Last night, one of the ladies from the shelter contacted me to see if I could do anything to help one of those pups, now a two-year old. Toy found a home near Bristol in the UK, where he went to live with a family with two teenagers. Sadly since then, the family circumstances have changed, the children have moved to live with their father, and now it is just the lady and Toy. She doesn't have the time to care for him, and he spends much of his day alone in a crate.

So Georgina asked if I knew anyone who could help in the UK, and I thought I'd pass the message on here. If anyone knows anyone who might be looking for a dog for themselves, or knows of a rescue over there that may be able to help out.

Toy was born 18th March 2018, is neutered, friendly with people including children, is house trained, walks off leash in the park and comes back when called. I don't know about how he is with cats, but have asked for that information. He plays nicely with other dogs, although is sometimes intimidated by big dogs (but never displays any aggressive behaviour).

He is also a VERY handsome boy!

If anyone knows of anyone who may be able to help find him his forever home, I'd be really grateful. He's currently in a place called Llanmartin, just over the bridge from Bristol into Wales.

Here are pictures of the young man. I mean, who could say no to those ears?!

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 22.34.18.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 22.34.40.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 22.48.28.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 22.48.36.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 22.48.44.jpeg

I
A couple of years ago, when I was helping out at the shelter, we had a litter of eight Podenco puppies come in, that had been abandoned at only four weeks of age. This was around the time of the transition from the bad management to the good one, so all the puppies were found homes.
Last night, one of the ladies from the shelter contacted me to see if I could do anything to help one of those pups, now a two-year old. Toy found a home near Bristol in the UK, where he went to live with a family with two teenagers. Sadly since then, the family circumstances have changed, the children have moved to live with their father, and now it is just the lady and Toy. She doesn't have the time to care for him, and he spends much of his day alone in a crate.

So Georgina asked if I knew anyone who could help in the UK, and I thought I'd pass the message on here. If anyone knows anyone who might be looking for a dog for themselves, or knows of a rescue over there that may be able to help out.

Toy was born 18th March 2018, is neutered, friendly with people including children, is house trained, walks off leash in the park and comes back when called. I don't know about how he is with cats, but have asked for that information. He plays nicely with other dogs, although is sometimes intimidated by big dogs (but never displays any aggressive behaviour).

He is also a VERY handsome boy!

If anyone knows of anyone who may be able to help find him his forever home, I'd be really grateful. He's currently in a place called Llanmartin, just over the bridge from Bristol into Wales.

Here are pictures of the young man. I mean, who could say no to those ears?!

View attachment 17939View attachment 17940View attachment 17941View attachment 17942View attachment 17943
I know some who is looking but he has to be good with cats.

I know some who is looking but he has to be good with cats.
We're hopefully going to get more information soon, but if he's not been in a home with them, I think it would be impossible to guarantee, given that he's a sight hound. Many Pods are great with cats, but then so are many Labs, yet I wouldn't trust Shadow with one :shake:
Ginny couldn't give two hoots about cats, but she's not a two-year-old boy with four legs!

It would be ideal to have an independent person meet up with him to get some sort of an assessment. This is unfortunately the issue with sending dogs abroad without any local rescue back-up :confused:

Wow, there has been a huge amount of interest in him! The last time I tried to get help from any UK rescue organisations, they were all too busy and full with their own doggy concerns, which is understandable. This time, I have people trying to rip my arm off to help! I guess there are maybe fewer dogs being transported from Spain because of Covid.

We may already have found someone suitable, who has been searching for some time for a Podenco Canario, and who has already been home-checked and approved by one of the UK-based organisations. The shelter will arrange a visit with the existing owner to see if he's a good fit :)

Emily_Babbelhund

Mama Red HOT Pepper
Wonderful news, Fiona. I love all the Podencos, but the Ibicincos are just magnificent. They remind me of dogs in ancient Egyptian paintings. I think they are the most chilled out of the Pods, too?

May you get a perfect new home, Toy. ❤