Overwhelming Pancreas Flare

Hi everyone.

I need some help please.

I mentioned in my first post that our Cane Corso had to have a splenectomy and it was confirmed she had liver cancer. Vet confirmed she was a good candidate for chemo especially as there were no tumours when they checked.

Without the chemo, we could probably expect 3 - 6 months, with chemo working, 6 - 12.

We started chemo at Christmas and she picked up an infection - whilst checking her they could see the start of growths on her liver.

She had her first month check up last week and they confirmed she had had a small internal bleed but it had resolved itself - we needed to keep an eye on her.

Saturday morning, she didn't seem her usual self and only ate part of her breakfast and did not improve - when she refused cheese, I asked my partner to take her to the vets. He had been out for most of the day and when he got back, she really picked up. I started to think I was being overly anxious and she would be back tonight or tomorrow.

They checked her gums when she arrived and thought they looked ok - Tom said she seemed to have picked up too. They took some blood to test.

They took her in for her scans and her cavities were full of blood - the red blood count was on the floor, her gums were white. While he was at the vets, a growth had come away from the liver, rupturing it and there was nothing that could be done.

He rang to tell me and so she was put to sleep on the table with Tom holding her.

I've not done much else but look after Bess, Athena and Boo these last months and my world has just caved in. My brain cannot accept that they are both gone. I keep thinking they are coming back or they are stealing cat food from the kitchen - they'll be back and I won't feel so empty and useless.

I know all dogs are special (we had 8, now 6) but these two were amazing, very different to each other, but they shared amazing.

Thank you @HAH - your post came in whilst I was writing this out.

I am struggling to find comfort at the moment.

Actually, I am just struggling all round.

HAH

How utterly heartbreaking @Orange . I am so incredibly sorry for what you and the family are going through, and it's entirely understandable that you're struggling with it all. I'm glad you're able to come here and tell us about it, and there's always someone about so if it helps, please do keep visiting. How are the other dogs getting on?

I’m so sorry. Devastated for you. Especially the suddenness of it all and that you couldn’t be there to hold her. Thinking of you xxx

How utterly heartbreaking @Orange . I am so incredibly sorry for what you and the family are going through, and it's entirely understandable that you're struggling with it all. I'm glad you're able to come here and tell us about it, and there's always someone about so if it helps, please do keep visiting. How are the other dogs getting on?
Boo had only just stopped looking for Bess - she was getting quite distressed and vocalising it. She's had some dermatitis come up in the last week as well.

On Saturday, Boo kept checking Athena which convinced me even more that something was wrong so I think she had a sense that she was dying like animals do if that doesn't sound crazy.

The others are ok - they spend their time outside whereas my three old ladies were / are indoor dogs.

I’m so sorry, @Orange. It’s a difficult to come to terms with anyway, but especially when when it’s unexpected, as it was with Athena. :hug: 🌈

I am so sorry to hear about Athena. That is a wonderful photo of them both watching telly together.
I can't even imagine how upsetting it must be for you at this moment in time. You gave them both a caring, loving and safe home. X :hug: :hug: