The fold-back down

Joy

I've enrolled for a Fenzi online workshop - 'Teaching a Fun and Flashy Drop on Recall' which starts next Sunday, run by Nicole Wiebusch. Somehow 'flashy' doesn't sound like Molly but I hope I can pick up some useful tips.

Joy

I'm beginning to feel that we will be able to achieve this by the time we next need it in a competition. Looks like you can teach old dogs new tricks! The Fenzi workshop wasn't brilliant but did have a few ideas especially for the more advanced stages, and definitely spurred me on to keep trying. The title of this thread probably isn't quite accurate, as what we are getting isn't always a fold-back down, but it is what I need which is a straight down without a sit first.
In competition Molly needs to do this both at heel and on recall. This is a short video of her doing it facing me, which is the first stage in down on recall. The first one I lure but after that I have nothing in my closed fist.

The next stages are for me to lose my exaggerated hand signal, to use a barrier for working at a distance and then doing it as she is close to me but we are both moving with me walking backwards.

Joy

I'm really pleased with the progress we're making. Just now we tried adding a little distance. Molly would already do a down at a distance but did it by sitting first (which cost us 10 marks in our last competition) , but she seems to have grasped what I want now and has also done it close to me in the recreation ground and barn with sand surface.

I think perhaps the Fenzi workshop galvanised me to press on and not stay at the same level for too long.