?time for a puppy

Naya

Moderator
Location
Bristol, UK
Hi everyone, it has been a long time since I created a post. I have occasionally popped in, but struggled with this for a long time.

I am now at a stage that I’m considering getting a puppy. It has taken a long time to get to this stage as I really struggled with severe depression when Harley went over the rainbow bridge. Since then we have moved to Somerset and have another granddaughter. Both granddaughters have kept me busy as I’m now only an hour away from them, but more and more I am noticing that our house feels empty. I work from home a lot now, so think this will help. We have Lyla (daughter’s lab) now and then which has been really nice.
My dilemma is what breed. I really love Labradors, but worry I would compare them to Harley. I have considered Golden Retriever’s, staffys and spaniels but cannot settle on a breed.
Those of you who have had Labradors after your beloved friend has gone, how did you manage this? Any tips or thoughts appreciated 😊
 
Hi everyone, it has been a long time since I created a post. I have occasionally popped in, but struggled with this for a long time.

I am now at a stage that I’m considering getting a puppy. It has taken a long time to get to this stage as I really struggled with severe depression when Harley went over the rainbow bridge. Since then we have moved to Somerset and have another granddaughter. Both granddaughters have kept me busy as I’m now only an hour away from them, but more and more I am noticing that our house feels empty. I work from home a lot now, so think this will help. We have Lyla (daughter’s lab) now and then which has been really nice.
My dilemma is what breed. I really love Labradors, but worry I would compare them to Harley. I have considered Golden Retriever’s, staffys and spaniels but cannot settle on a breed.
Those of you who have had Labradors after your beloved friend has gone, how did you manage this? Any tips or thoughts appreciated 😊
Get a lab you can't go wrong with a lab
 

HAH

Moderator
Location
Devon, UK
Hi everyone, it has been a long time since I created a post. I have occasionally popped in, but struggled with this for a long time.

I am now at a stage that I’m considering getting a puppy. It has taken a long time to get to this stage as I really struggled with severe depression when Harley went over the rainbow bridge. Since then we have moved to Somerset and have another granddaughter. Both granddaughters have kept me busy as I’m now only an hour away from them, but more and more I am noticing that our house feels empty. I work from home a lot now, so think this will help. We have Lyla (daughter’s lab) now and then which has been really nice.
My dilemma is what breed. I really love Labradors, but worry I would compare them to Harley. I have considered Golden Retriever’s, staffys and spaniels but cannot settle on a breed.
Those of you who have had Labradors after your beloved friend has gone, how did you manage this? Any tips or thoughts appreciated 😊
Hi Naya, it’s lovely to hear you, and I’m sorry you’ve had severe depression after Harley died. I don’t think this is uncommon, it feels like an entirely reasonable (although appalling to live with) reaction to the immense grief of losing a best friend. It sounds like your grandbabies and Lyla are keeping you occupied, and Somerset’s got all sorts to offer hasn’t it?
On the breed ideas, I’m guessing you’ve read all the info about breed characters, common health issues etc. I think beyond those considerations, you probably have a pretty keen sense already what’s most important to you. They’re all individuals and I understand the concern, but I don’t think you’ll have a problem comparing another Labrador to Harley any more than you’d compare another breed. And maybe you actually won’t mind the odd comparisons after a time? She’ll be helping you with everything you learned with her, after all. Trust your instincts I think x
 

Joy

Location
East Sussex
It's good to hear from you Naya and I'm sorry you've been depressed. I don't feel ready for another dog at home again yet, though I'm sure I will eventually. Each dog I have had has been different - springer spaniel, cocker spaniel, chocolate Lab and Chesapeake Bay Retriever x Lab (Molly). If you'd like a Lab how about choosing a black or chocolate or even pale yellow? I think each time I had a new dog they just sort of appeared (or perhaps the advert for them just appeared) at the right time and it was sort of impulsive - not at all like the careful planning we're supposed to do! (But they were all dearly loved.)
 

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
I would choose a Lab every time. I have never compared Red to Sky our black Lab. Sky was a fabulous dog as is Red - different personalities but equally loved. I always thought Black Labs were the best but I have changed my view - I love yellow ones as much and chocolate ones are lovely too. I don’t think you will compare. Look forward to hearing what you choose.
 

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Lovely to hear from you Naya. It must have been so hard losing lovely Harley and I'm sorry to hear that you suffered with depression. In reply to your question, well, Joy is Labrador number 5 for me. Every time I get a new Labrador pup I go through a phase of thinking that I've made a terrible mistake because I'll never love her as much as the previous one. Every time the new little one creeps sneakily into my heart, bit by bit, until one day I come to realise that I love her just as much as all the others, only for slightly different reasons. Certainly the new dog has never been a replacement for the previous one, as they have all been irreplaceable, but each one has found just as important a place in my life and I have loved and been grateful for them all equally. Sounds a bit like I'm saying 'Yes! Get another Labrador' doesn't it? But of course you must do what feels right for you.
Pee Ess, of course, they're also very good with children......🤭
 

Cath

MLF Sales Coordinator
Lovely to hear from you @Naya I got a Lab again when my first boy went. Although I did wait over a year. I love them all for themselves. They are like having children, you always love them all. I have had boys dogs and my last one was a girl (Annie). I am sure you will make the right decision for you.
 
Hi @Naya, good to read that you are considering another puppy but sorry of course that you experienced depression following the loss of Harley.
I think just go with the flow and see what turns up and feels right at the time. Whatever breed you get, Labrador or no, they won't be Harley and I think we inevitably make comparisons which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My newly acquired dog sitting job entails looking after 3 Labradors who all have very different personalities and quirks - and they are related! I guess though there is an overarching "Labradorness" about them all which is hard to define! Something to do with the people focussed easy going gentleness combined with enthusiasm for life, I can't put it any other way.

They are like having children, you always love them all.
Absolutely this xx
 
It's lovely to hear from you, @Naya. I'm sorry you were struggling so much after losing Harley. Our dogs are very much part of our families and losing them isn't easy at all. I hope you're now enjoying being in Somerset, closer to your granddaughters.

I haven't always had labradors, but every dog has been special and has quickly wormed its way into our hearts. After losing our first Labrador Penny when she was only seven, we couldn't face having another Labrador because it "wouldn't be as good as Penny"(we already had Amber, our collie-cross, too), but when it was time to have a new puppy we felt a Labrador was the best option and so chose Wispa, who of course was a yellowy fox red rather than black. Eventually it was time for another puppy again when Wispa became an 'only dog', so that's when Tuppence appeared. Yes, she's black, but a different build to Penny and very different in character. As others have said, each dog has its own special character and quirks, just like children.

I'm sure the right puppy will find you. It's very much a personal choice.
 

Mrs UB

Moderator
Staff member
Hi @Naya I can totally sympathise. It's taken me a long time to decide I'm ready for another dog after Harvey, although everyone is different. @UncleBob was certain after a couple of months that he wanted another dog and definitely another lab. He just loves their labradoriness! He's had to wait for me to catch up. I worry I'll do the comparison thing, but Cooper has his own little personality that we can see already. We did quite a lot of dogsitting in between for spaniels and a border collie, they're all different, but I think I could have welcomed either breed as our next dog. Inevitably I think, whatever dog you get, there will be some comparison. If you got a spaniel, it would be, oh labradors don't do that.....
I did say that I couldn't have one that looked like Harv. Cooper is much darker and no white shorts! In the end, you'll find the right dog for you, your new home and the grandchildren when you're ready.
 
Hi Naya , so good to see you back here again . I am sorry you have struggled with the loss of Harley , I understand this completely as I am struggling with the loss of Nelly . I agree with what has been said , every Labrador is different in so many ways, but at least you know the breed , what you see is what you get ! I just wish you all the best with whatever dog you decide is right for you, thats what matters xxx
 

Naya

Moderator
Location
Bristol, UK
Thank you all for being so kind and understanding. Thank you all for sharing your experience and suggestions. I am definitely going to go down the route of talking to breeders for Labradors and golden retrievers. I think I will also look at a lighter colour than Harley was as think this will make it easier (I hope). I will definitely keep you all updated on my puppy search! 🐾
 

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
I've brought up two golden retrievers and they really are very different from labradors!

I absolutely loved them 'tho. They are so funny when they decide not to move they just lie down and don't move!

🙂🐾
Was one of these the lovely Keir, by any chance? He's done that to me a couple of times when I've been looking after him, and there reslly is no budging him! I always thought Retrievers would be the same as Labradors only hairier, but they're much more stubborn. Still love them though!❤
 
Top