Weight gain

What suppliments or foods would you give your dog to help put on weight when they are poorly or getting older?
Poor Homer is loosing weight with his meaoesophagus. Its difficult to just feed him more as more doesnt necessarily stay in.
 
I know that I've been given weight gain food by the vet can perhaps suggest something else? I also get the food used for dogs that are doing a lot of work. When Moo was so sick I did cook for her. There are websites for recipes that might get help. I was lucky with moo it was hard to get her to eat but she could keep it down. I hope you can find something. I know that some people have bypassed the system and had stomach tubes.
 
I've cooked some butternut and added some Buddu and Lola weight gainer powder to put on his lick mat after dinner. will see how that goes down. We have also given him a boiled egg a few times and that has stayed down too.

The vet hasn't sugested anything, even when I asked directly. I'm about to email them again. There is definitely a problem with him absorbing food as well as keeping it down.
 

Jacqui-S

Moderator
Location
Fife, Scotland
In human terms you do "food first" so boost existing normal meals with higher calories. Maybe add salmon oil, or an egg, maybe full fat yoghurt in doggy terms?
Consider perhaps a working dog formulation of food which is usually higher calories?
 
Top