1st time Labrador Puppy

I think I kind of meant reward for calm , or something!
Erm what is the dead dog test ?
What specific behaviour is "calm"? You need to operationalise it ;)

I think clicking for calm is a bit pants, personally, because the click can build energy, which is the last thing that's needed if you're trying to lower arousal. Using a calm verbal marker is my preference in those situations - or not even a marker at all. If there's no precise behaviour, a marker is unnecessary. You can reinforce the less specific things with massage, stroking, gentle play etc. A marker isn't always a suitable tool.

The dead dog test (which comes from the dead man's test) is whether something is a behaviour or not. If a dead dog can do it, it's not a behaviour.
"Not attacking the cat" is something a dead dog can do. Therefore it is not a behaviour that can be either reinforced or punished.

Boogie

** Pupdate..so last night at 10 I set up her little bed in my room with my t shirt and a pillow she likes..she got in it..then got out and laid on my husbands work clothes and slept Until 1.30.
Brought her down for a wee and she was playful so kept the light off and ignored her and laid on the sofa. She then laid on the sofa with me and slept until 6.
She was such a good girl 🙌🏻 What a difference 3 hours solid sleep makes!

I have been training her and she has taken to it so well I can’t believe it. My worry is I will give her too many treats. She does sit so well and now we are doing don’t try and kill the cat im using a lot more. Any adviceView attachment 19055
What a lovely photo 😍

We weigh out the pup’s food in the morning and keep some back for training, that way they don’t get over fed.

One tip - always feed from below to stop any possibility of choking.

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Also you might find she likes healthy treats. Joy loves raw carrots, peppers, cucumber, also broccoli and cabbage stalks. (Not lettuce though, she says it's too wet!) I constantly had small bits of these in my pockets when she was a pup. Just remember to take them out before you put your clothes away or in the wash though!

Only behaviour can be reinforced or punished. So you have to look at behaviour. Lack of behaviour is not behaviour. If a dead dog can do it, it's not a behaviour (in the vast majority of cases). So when you're deciding what behaviours you want to work on, ask yourself "can a dead dog do this?", and if the answer is "yes", you probably need to look at it in a different way.

Hi thanks for your replies. Ok so I am doing clicking wrong 🤦‍♀️ Luna attacking the cat is becoming such a big problem. My son is getting himself in a state over it and is starting to backaway from Luna. I really really need help as so far crying has not worked x

Hi thanks for your replies. Ok so I am doing clicking wrong 🤦‍♀️ Luna attacking the cat is becoming such a big problem. My son is getting himself in a state over it and is starting to backaway from Luna. I really really need help as so far crying has not worked x
Do you have gates where the cat can go to somewhere safe and Luna can’t get to him?

So, my thoughts, I've had cats the whole time I've had dogs, and it's not easy at first. But, your cat is young and hopefully will adapt to a puppy soon.

Forget the training for now, and manage their safe spaces. Decide where Luna can go, and where the cat can go, and make sure the whole family understands this. Move the cat's litter tray, food and scratching posts if needed. Ideally have a neutral space between the two areas if possible so they can't even see each other. I'd recommend giving them two or three days apart at least as a minimum just to reduce stress levels and hormones.( I learnt it here, but stress hormones linger for a lot longer than you would think)
Invest in stairgates, - we have three- though your cat is probably young enough to jump them easily, Luna won't be able to (yet). If you are keeping the cat inside for a bit, get some extra toys and spend some time just playing with cat when the dog is in their safe space.

dont worry, just focus on training with Luna, and separate relaxing time with the cat. It will work out, but give everyone some breathing space for a few days while you regroup.

We have gates the stairs and the entrance to the living room. Alan sleeps upstairs and as soon as he comes down Luna is on him and we literally have to
Prize her off him. A minute ago I managed to tell Luna to sit and she did, so he was able
To get to his food. We just don’t know when he is coming in and find out when we hear them rolling around the floor.
We use the gates when we can. Alan is not coming home for food a lot anymore so worrying about him..argh sorry for the rant x

Reactions: HAH
We have gates the stairs and the entrance to the living room. Alan sleeps upstairs and as soon as he comes down Luna is on him and we literally have to
Prize her off him. A minute ago I managed to tell Luna to sit and she did, so he was able
To get to his food. We just don’t know when he is coming in and find out when we hear them rolling around the floor.
We use the gates when we can. Alan is not coming home for food a lot anymore so worrying about him..argh sorry for the rant x
So, I'd keep Alan upstairs if you can, using closed doors if needed. It's good he doesn't sound too scared of Luna, and also good he sees upstairs as a safe sleeping space. Entice him with a bit of tuna
or chicken if you like, he deserves a treat.

House line? I used one for my cats. Very soft puppy harness with trailing line. It just calms things down when things get a bit exciting. Puppies having loads of fun but no one else is. Have a squeaky toy or some high value toy in your pocket to distract from the cat make yourself more fun than the cat. Just be silly and fun. You can step gently on the line or hold it. It just slows everything down to more manageable and levels of crazy. Baby gates are great but puppy needs to learn that chasings thing are not acceptable. It's a good thing to learn for the home but good for outside too.

Hello and welcome to the forum from me and Chewie (2.5 year old black Lab boy) from Sydney. Luna is adorable and it sounds like you are doing all the right things.

You have had loads of good advice so I won't bore you except to say that Chewie was a little pain in the bum and is now (mostly) calm and bomb proof. You'll get there.

Lisa

Hi there and welcome here from me and 7 year old Simba, a Lab X. The others have given you great advice. Agree with @snowbunny And @Natalie to not worry about the training just yet, but focus on getting things set up so that Alan and Luna can be separated. Having a puppy can be exasperating but take it a day at a time and keep working at it, you’ll get there! As for the biting, well, that’s not unusual as so many of us here can attest. It’s not a bad idea to always have a toy or something in your pocket that you can shove in their mouths when the dreaded crocopup makes his appearance!

Hi all. Sorry been quiet, tough few days. Think I have a bit of puppy blues.
I noticed when Alan and Luna fight that Alan isn’t running away so it is play fighting. That has eased my mind a lot.
Still not getting much sleep. We tried putting Luna in our room and she sleeps for a hour or so then gets up, and eats the bed. I then bring her back downstairs and have a broken sleep clearing up her toilets or stopping her chewing my hair.
During the day when she is tired she sleeps where she does at night for a lot longer (on a pile of my clothes next to my bed)
Just finding it hard work at the moment with sleeping and she has become a moo for not going to the toilet in the garden then coming in and going 🤦‍♀️
I love my little lady so much and wouldn’t be without her but just finding it really tough at the moment..AD2E8184-2C87-4A40-837C-2E1F5BE57CB0.jpeg57779399-E1C7-4385-9E45-B380A48B941F.jpeg28C905DD-1499-45A5-93D3-81C6FE822BB7.jpegCAAD709D-FCE8-42CD-8449-3EF2D3D0EB91.jpeg8733DC24-D364-4274-80EE-2CDC793AD07F.jpeg2EB29965-58AF-422B-8908-40999E7D2E55.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
She’s gorgeous! Have you discovered Kongs? If not, do get one or two. You can stuff them with tasty treats or some of her food (and freeze them too) to keep her busy. A Kong would be ideal for encouraging her to settle and spend a little time in her crate to give you a break!

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
Think I have a bit of puppy blues.
I wrote a post on puppy blues - you will find it in the puppies section - as I unfortunately got the blues badly. In my case, it was because we had an older Labrador (sadly no longer with us) who wouldn’t accept the new puppy - she did eventually but it took months. Added to that, there were other people who I needed to look after so I was massively sleep deprived. It is horrible but now those days are behind me and it was all worth it. I have a fabulous dog.

Luna looks adorable 😍. Try to rest whenever you can if possible and tell yourself it will pass. Also try to enjoy her puppy days. I look back at photos and videos and see just a gorgeous puppy - couldn’t really see it at the time