Beds and Ramps for Hattie

I know this has probably been covered a zillion times but I could really do with some advice on beds and a ramp for the car for Hattie. The vet suggested getting things in place to help her back legs, my poor girl :cry:

She is currently sleeping on this one with vet bed:

Raised Dog Bed - Elevated - Small & Large Sizes - Bunty

She suggested a memory foam bed, they fill me with dread but if that's the way to go I will of course.

Any help really would be appreciated. Thank you xxx

Your raised bed is exactly what Snowie’s physio recommends for dogs with joint problems. She said it’s much easier to get up from a raised bed because the dog can slide their legs down over the edge of the bed and be slightly raised already to stand up. She said that a memory foam bed is too soft to get up from for arthritic dogs. She said we could put a memory foam mattress on top of a raised bed if we thought he needed a softer surface.

Oh well. We got a very thick firm piece of foam because we wanted to get something quick and didn’t know where to buy the raised bed. The foam was very similar to a raised bed in height. Snowie REFUSED to lie on it. He wanted his old, thin scraggly bed back. We gave in.

Beanwood

Administrator
Cassie is neglected bed wise. I use her plastic bed with 3 layers of vet bed. I also have non slip vet bed in sitting room. At the moment she's on the sofa, unusual for her now, leather sofa with non slip vet bed.

Home Environment Adaptations - Canine Arthritis Management

The canine arthritis website gives lots of useful information.
Good advice here! :) Casper fidgets a lot, so a large deep bed is perfect, giving him room to stretch. Low sides give him a little support where he needs it.

I asked Casper what bed he would REALLY like....I wish I hadn't asked....:rofl::shock:

Posh Orvis Dog Bed

So the raised bed I linked that Hattie is sleeping on is not supportive enough for her? I just a real thing about memory foam. xx

@Cupcase That's the website our vet suggested we look at. Thank you xx

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone! xx

@Beanwood Casper you have very expensive taste :rofl: xx

Jacqui-S

I’m moving away from them for the Labs because they don’t like the furry top (detachable) and the girls dig at them, which eventually splits the liner. But for Ginny, they’re perfect :)
We bought one of these which Lilly sleeps in a lot but isn't her exclusive bed!
She too will "dig" in it to move off the fleece and a top fleece cover to lie on the nekkid base cover.
Not every time but often
Strange.

I’m relieved to hear other dogs dig in their beds. Snowie has ripped his night-time cushion bed several times. Been patched and recovered a few times. He often digs his blanket in the corner where he sleeps in the morning (yup, he has several sleep spots!), I think to bunch it up just so.

We once bought him a really expensive bed. Ultra comfy. Also refused to lie in it. Well, he dug, lay down for a few minutes, and then went to sleep elsewhere. I sold it to a friend of a friend (for half the price I paid), and I see Facebook pics of her massive dog sleeping in his comfy bed. It’s been 6 years and it still looks good.

I can’t believe how cheap the beds are in the UK!!! You are so lucky. And so much choice!

We bought one of these which Lilly sleeps in a lot but isn't her exclusive bed!
She too will "dig" in it to move off the fleece and a top fleece cover to lie on the nekkid base cover.
Not every time but often
Strange.
Yep, I've just removed them now and use them as little blankets elsewhere :D

Right now I'm in the bedroom, and Willow is asleep on the human bed, while Squidge and Shadow are asleep on these memory foam beds.

@Charlie, why don't you like memory foam?

I know this has probably been covered a zillion times but I could really do with some advice on beds and a ramp for the car for Hattie. The vet suggested getting things in place to help her back legs, my poor girl :cry:

She is currently sleeping on this one with vet bed:

Raised Dog Bed - Elevated - Small & Large Sizes - Bunty

She suggested a memory foam bed, they fill me with dread but if that's the way to go I will of course.

Any help really would be appreciated. Thank you xxx
A friend bought a memory foam bed for her dog and he hated it, far too hard, I bought a memory foam pillow for me and found it hard! I have a Meg Bed for Rourke, with the cover you can also buy, it keeps out draughts, easy to wash cover and nice and soft.

Stanley has a large and it’s pretty massive for him. He’s about 28kg.

It’s stayed in really good shape. He’s had it over a year now. (It could do with a bit of a clean.)
4C3D9CF2-5D53-44D6-BFEF-56DF6ABCB74D.jpeg

It seems to be warm, he’s always happy enough on it. In the winter when it’s really cold I’ll probably give him a blanket as well to snuggle into x