Cues you’ve accidentally trained

When I get changed to take Harley out for a walk, she grabs a pair of my walking socks from the bedroom and carries them into the front room to wait for me to come down 😂.
That's adorable!

I'm a bit slow getting ready for walks, with my big preggo belly at the moment. One morning Chewie lost his patience and started throwing shoes at me. "Just put these on woman!" They were my husband's running shoes.
 
Maisy knows what this is all about
Aren't they amazing really? I just love how they put all these things together.
Cassie gets a kong when I'm going out to work, always then. But not every time I leave the house with out her, but she knows when I'm going out to work, and hops on her bed expectantly, awaiting her kong. I don't know exactly how she works it out, because I don't go at the same time or wear the same clothes. But she knows!
She also knows she will get one when I go up to sleep after a nightshift, it's the only time she gets one in the morning. After a (shorter ) morning walk, she again hops in her bed eagerly. She never does that post walk at any other time.
 
If I have a shower and get dressed to go out, Snowie goes to lie on his bed, looks morose, and goes to sleep. It can be any time of the day or evening. Aside from the morose look, he’s very easy about knowing I’m going out. Dogs are so observant!
 
Shamas isn't allowed to beg, but he's learned that if I sit with a snack too read, and he's very quiet and good beside me I'll share from the meats and cheese on my plate.

He watches me prep food now, and if I grab a book, he sits next to the couch with a huge doggy grin! No staring though, or he gets told "don't beg" and lays down in sadness.


He's also learned when hubby leaves for work I go to bed. So as soon as the door closes behind hubby, Shamas faces the bedroom and looks back waiting for me. He walks very slowly, to make sure I'm coming too
 
I just realized that we’ve trained Snowie to kiss goodbye the person staying behind. If my husband takes him for a walk, he comes to kiss me. Same if I’m taking him for a walk—I go to kiss my husband and Snowie is waiting for his turn. Either he does it on his own accord. Or I say, “Give kiss goodbye” and he saunters up happily and lifts his nose and gives a little lick on my chin while I kiss his nose or that lovely soft part below his nose/kinda upper lip. For my husband, it’s a lick on his lips!

He knows “say goodbye” and will say goodbye to visitors by waggling up to them. If they lent down to kiss them, I’m sure he’d give a little lick back.

All unstructured/unintended training. Just came naturally. If only recall had been as natural and easy!!
 

Lab_adore

Moderator
Staff member
Same here @M.F., if we lean our face towards Maxx and say 'kiss please' he will oblige with a nose nuzzle or lick. In fact quite often you get one without being asked

We taught him to 'get your bone' which means he runs off and finds his black Kong bone. Quite often we would then break up a dentastick and push it into the ends for him to gnaw on. So now he will present his bone without being asked whenever he wants a dentastick! Which, of course is about 20 times per day :facepalm:

Recall? Don't mention that word
 
This was an old one with Belle. OH changed the noise has laptop made on shut-down from the normal Windows "doo-doo-doo-dooooo" to a clip from Goldfinger "No Mr Bond, I expect you to die". Well Belle always took this as the cue that computers are off so something good is going to happen next and she would stand up all waggy. So when we were watching said film and it gets to the bit where JB is on the gold table with the laser about to cut him in two he says to Goldfinger "Do you expect me to talk?"....and Goldfinger replies with his line....up jumps Belle "Hey what are we going to do next?" Every single time. And we still laugh when we watch Goldfinger.
 
When I wake up in the morning, I grab my phone to check my work emails and then check on the forum. Nathan gets up and comes into our room to climb in bed with us.

There are two morning cues. Nathan will ask for some milk and/or I will put my phone down on the bedside table. Both cues cause Ella to leap up and start prancing... because... BREAKFAST!
 
When I’m at work, I always automatically say “c’mon, outside” when I’m letting the dogs out the kennels into the paddock. Whenever I bring them home, they will often not go outside until I use that cue. I guess it’s quite a good thing as it makes them go outside when they’re having a “mad hour” and aren’t paying any attention to you at all 🤣
 
Top