Do tennis balls smell???

Mrs UB

Staff member
This is Harv with his found tennis ball. He found it in this bush. We arrived at The Old Post Office yesterday (somewhere we've stayed before) and Harv was obsessed. My question is, how did he know it was there? This morning he disappeared inside the bush and proudly reversed out with the ball in his mouth. Did he smell it or did he remember that over 2 years ago he found another tennis ball in the same bush?20210918_171620.jpg20210918_171707.jpg

I think they can smell them! Quinn always digs out old, broken balls buried in brush and muck on walks! However, she also remembers places she found things (like the full pizza on a walk at my parents- she checks there every time and that find was years ago)....

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
I say both - smell and memory. Red has found so many tennis balls 🎾 on walks. She also remembers exactly where she lost one and will go sniffing (she makes little grunting noises when she’s onto the scent). She has astounded me at times at her ability to find balls she has lost ages ago. I don’t think we should ever underestimate their amazing memories

One of our regular mountain walks borders on a tennis club. Snowie is forever finding tennis balls. And not just the ordinary kind that are sold in the pet shops. These are super-duper bouncy professional tennis balls! They have such good bounce! We have a nice little stash at home. Pity none of us play tennis! But they are great for bouncing against the door or wall indoors and then Snowie catches them on the rebound.