Mantrailing

I need to get Hubby on board with doing some man trailing trails for Homer. Hubby attended one of our sessions and Homer definitely found it rather weird that Dad was there, a bit like kids find it weird when their parents come into school to School for parent teacher meetings.

I was wondering how I could get our neighbours teenage/university age kids to lay trails for Homer with social distancing in mind. If they have the treats then I don't need to get too close to them but I'll have to pick up the sent article. I thought I might be able to pick it up in a (clean) poop bag like we do with poop.

I need to get Hubby on board with doing some man trailing trails for Homer. Hubby attended one of our sessions and Homer definitely found it rather weird that Dad was there, a bit like kids find it weird when their parents come into school to School for parent teacher meetings.

I was wondering how I could get our neighbours teenage/university age kids to lay trails for Homer with social distancing in mind. If they have the treats then I don't need to get too close to them but I'll have to pick up the sent article. I thought I might be able to pick it up in a (clean) poop bag like we do with poop.
Why not just leave the scent article where it is lying? Get the kid to put a stone on it so it won't blow away, then they can come and collect it later.
When we did our last "proper" trailing session (before total lock-down) the most difficult thing was staying away from each other when the dog found the runner - we've so much got into the habit of everyone congratulating and rewarding the dog ("Big Puppy Party!!!") that it felt very weird. We were carrying our own treats, so the handler rewarded their own dog when he'd found the runner.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good super strong maintaining harness?

We've been using his Julius K9 one so far, it has a strong handle I can hold on to as we are getting ready and he's rearing to go. But it's too short in the back and he and I get tangled up in the long line easily. I need something where the line is attached further down his back.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good super strong maintaining harness?

We've been using his Julius K9 one so far, it has a strong handle I can hold on to as we are getting ready and he's rearing to go. But it's too short in the back and he and I get tangled up in the long line easily. I need something where the line is attached further down his back.
So, because Monty is normally walked on a harness, I had to go back to his earlier cosy dog harnesses for a different feel when we did mantrailing. I'd probably recommend the Copenhagen harness for mantrailing, I've never particularly got tangled up in it and has the handle you talked about.
The cosy dog is a simpler Y harness, felt covered webbing, which would probably feel v
different to the Copenhagen.

Their weird thing was, I had to walk Monty from car to the start of the trail on a collar, then only switch to a harness when we started. I didn't dare point out that to him, the collar would have felt weirder than the harness.
Some photos for comparison of harnesses we use:

Monty's CopenhagenIMG_20200720_125812712_HDR.jpg

And Cosy dog:
DSC02090.JPG

I used the Perfect Fit for Coco. It felt fine for us, the ring seems far enough back...no tangling, but then Coco charges on ahead. I must try and get back to this.

snowbunny

Administrator
Would a CaniX (Canicross) harness work? They're designed for dogs to pull in them, and the tether point is waaaaaay back. I wouldn't use the Julius-K9 or anything else with a horizontal chest strap, especially when the dog is supposed to be pulling.