The Labraventures of Carbón, Spanish (ex-) foster dog extraordinaire

I was taught that dogs learn in three repetitions so I wonder if you are going on too long? I noticed that Carbon showed his worried behaviour when you put the box out read. I wonder if something hurts when he is getting onto the box? Does he show the same behaviour if you ask him to stand when the box isn't there? Could you reward him for standing on the box for a longer time?

I was taught that dogs learn in three repetitions so I wonder if you are going on too long? I noticed that Carbon showed his worried behaviour when you put the box out read. I wonder if something hurts when he is getting onto the box? Does he show the same behaviour if you ask him to stand when the box isn't there? Could you reward him for standing on the box for a longer time?
Yes, I'm definitely doing too many reps in a session. It's my bad habit that somehow I need to break.

He's fine with the box - he'll get up there even if I don't ask him, which is why I need to pick it up quickly when we're done. he also shows the same behaviour without the box. It's the sit, and 'all done' cue that are poisoned. Also I think to a certain extent the camera. Getting it out means we're not just playing. We both enjoy training more without the camera pointed at us, but that's how I learn so I have to keep filming.

As to standing on the box longer, that's how all this started. Eventually that's the goal, to increase duration. For now we're back to baby steps. He'll get there, he's a smart (and patient) señor. :inlove:

Safe travels. I’ve been unbelievably busy with stuff and have hardly had a chance to read any posts here for ages. I have a lot to catch up on this thread, which I look forward to. Bon voyage!

Hey all!

Thank for all the nice well wishes for our travels! I'm sorry I've not been very 'posty' lately. Between having to leave earlier than planned and having to leave Cornwall at all, I've been in a bit of a frantic funk, if there is such a thing. Hopefully Carbon will feel more talkative once we're back in Bavaria. (Carbon says, "I am plenty talkative, ML, it is you who will not let me express myself in the manner to which my gente, my people, have become accustomed. Que lastima, what a shame! It is ALL. YOUR. FAULT. that this guapo Spanish gentleman dog has been silenced. Too long, I say! I will be starting the Labrador revolution soon, just you see. Pfft!"

Mmm...apparently he's been creatively frustrated lately. Who knew? :wasntme:

Anyway, after a sad goodbye to Cornwall, Carbon and I stayed two nights at a wonderful little holiday rental studio just outside of Glastonbury. Besides being peachy human accommodations, the studio came with a 8 month old retriever puppy named Nala, a huge paddock with a river running through it and SHEEP. We then met up with Kate, Benson and Otter Potter yesterday at Sandy Bay, as you can see in @Beanwood 's video and photo. Then this morning it was a quick socially-distanced visit with Kate and the pups, a romp in the paddock and a tour of Kate's fabulous home office garden shed. Oh, and Carbon also managed to roll in poo which Kate washed off with the hose pipe while I conveniently hid away from the action. Shameless, I am.

We then had a very easy three hour drive to Folkestone. No extra controls for COVID at all, the only difference in the The Shuttle service was that the loos on the trains were closed. They are usually out of order anyway, so in practical fact, no difference at all. Less than 10 minutes from the France side of Eurotunnel we pulled up to our temporary digs directly on the port in Calais. I didn't know what to expect, but the apartment is very cute and the harbour is pretty in a rough and tumble kind of way.

Carbon is COMPLETELY beat and frankly so am I. Tomorrow it's sleep in, have a morning walk around the harbour and beach by foot, then head over to Cap Gris Nez which is our usual last beach romp on the Opal Coast before heading back to the sadly beachless expanse of Germany. I'm really going to miss seagulls screeching and sand in every cranny, but hey...I've not had decent sauerkraut or quark in six months so there's something to look forward to. 😉