Uploading photos/changing your avatar

To change your avatar, click on your username in the blue bar under the site logo. On a computer, you need to hover over your existing avatar to see the "Edit avatar" link. On a mobile device, it will already be visible. Click on that and you can choose to either upload a new image from your computer or else you can use your Gravatar if you are included in that system.

Pictures in posts
Photos can be included in posts in several ways. The following applies to members using a computer, but, other than the drag-and-drop, the same should also apply to mobile devices.

1. Sharing from a photo-sharing site.
If you use one of the following sites for sharing your photos, you can just drop the link to the image (or video, or audio file) straight into your post and it will automatically convert it into an inline image (or video, or audio file).
  • Apple Music
  • Dailymotion
  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Giphy
  • Imgur
  • Instragram
  • Liveleak
  • Metacafe
  • Pinterest
  • Reddit
  • SoundCloud
  • Spotify
  • Tumblr
  • Twitch
  • Twitter
  • Vimeo
  • YouTube
eg, if I simply copy the following link from Imgur https://i.imgur.com/tiD1ivt.jpg and put it in my text box, when I post it will look like this:

2. I can also copy the BBCode (Bulletin Board Code) for the image, which some providers show on their sites. Or, you can add the [img]...[/img] tags yourself. For example, copying this from Imgur [img]https://i.imgur.com/tiD1ivt.jpg[/img] will also show the full image:

3. Using drag-and-drop for a photo on your computer. Simply put your cursor where you want the picture to appear in your text box, then drag and drop from your computer file system into the text box. The box will become faded and you will see a progress bar while the file is uploaded. Once this is completed, the text box will become active again and you can continue with your message.

4. With the "Insert image" button on the toolbar. Click this and you will see the following box appear:

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 15.55.54.png

You can drop a photo from your file system onto the "Drop image" pane, or click on it to open a file system dialogue so you can choose your photo file.

Alternatively, clicking the chain links above the "Drop image" box allows you to post in the URL of an image.

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 15.56.02.png

5. With the "Attach files" button under the text box:
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 15.58.52.png

Clicking on this button will open your file system for you to choose a photo. Once uploaded, you can choose to insert the image as a Thumbnail (small size) or Full image by clicking one of the buttons next to the added attachment:

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 16.01.55.png

NOTE:
The forum accepts directly uploaded photos up to 2000x1500px in pixel size and 5MB of file size. If your photo exceeds these constraints, do not worry! On uploading them, the software will automatically resize them to conform. You should be aware, however, that this will take longer than uploading a file that already meets the requirements and, depending on the speed of your uploads and the raw file size your camera creates, you may wish to resize before uploading, however that does add another step that may be too inconvenient, which is why we've included the option for the server to do the work for you!

Last edited:
Hmmm... I seem to be having trouble uploading photos. They start uploading (very slowly) then when they get to just above 50%, it stops. The file name shows in light grey, with a line through it. I did take a screen shot but then I realised that I couldn't upload it ?‍♀

BTW.. I'm using option 5 of the list above ?

@Emily how big is your original file? There is still a limit and I can’t recskk off the top of my head what I set it to (I’m out at the mo and can’t check) but that may be it. I can increase it if it’s too restrictive.

No photo show when I try to attach files
How do you do photos now. I just started had my monthly memory wipe and can't remember how it used to work.

If I touch the attach files button to find photo nothing happens. It's fine on friends FB and messenger. It could be that I do it differently on here but I can't remember I thought I did it right

Jacqui-S

My mobile has got the Attach files button at the bottom too, just like laptop (laptop also has the insert quotes button).
There is Attach File, Post Reply and Preview buttons on the bottom of my mobile page.

Software update for me is Settings/More/About Device/Software Update. My Samsung is ancient now and won't update past 4.4.2. It causes problems with some apps (won't support anything under 4.5) so hopefully Swampy doesn't run into something similar.