Your Intact Male

Hi friends! So Aspen and I have just come back from a vet visit. I was freaking out because he was drooling and had a runny nose for three days straight. Vet couldn't get us in till today because they didn't think it was an emergency as he was still eating, drinking, pottying, and playing normally. There is absolutely NO PRICE for Aspen's health, but I kind of have to chuckle because I basically just paid the vet $70 for the vet to tell me that there was most likely a bitch in heat nearby that was making him drool because there was absolutely nothing wrong with him health-wise.

I can't believe I've been a responsible owner of an intact male for three years now and I never ever thought of this...my first thoughts were hurting teeth, allergies, or even kidney failure. Like I said, I don't truly mind paying the $$$ for checkups because you can't put a price on peace of mind (or my sweet little boys health) but it was just kind of funny to me that that's likely all it was. That, or a small, mild virus. I'm just so glad he is good. I went to sleep with a tummy ache the last three nights worrying about what could be wrong!

What is the craziest way your male has behaved when he has smelled a bitch in heat?

Homer is generally not that fussed by bitches. Occasionally he’ll be a bit out of sorts and we think it could be something he’s got scent of. Occasionally he’ll follow another dog along the path regardless of the direction we were heading but that could be after any random dog not only ones on heat. If he starts sniffing their ears I put him back on his lead as that’s a clear indication that he’s interested.

Beanwood

Administrator
Oh God! Benson was truly horrific! He would be out of sorts for DAYS, and then would chew and hump EVERY SINGLE CUSHION, and even if a cushion appeared OK, you would need to look very carefully for signs of err.....ehem...stuff...When @Emily_Babbelhund visited once in the middle of one particular traumatic episode, she found me completely frazzled perched on the remaining "decent" cushions and hanging on for dear life! :rofl: :facepalm:

Shadow has been less than interested until Ginny’s last ... “season”. She’s a total hussy and has pushed him to the point of him growling at her. Despite his dickishness with other dogs, he’s sweetness and light at home, so him growling just shows that his buttons have been well and truly pushed.

Cupar thankfully has no interest in the females.

In 1975 my first dog started foaming at the mouth, howling and scratching the outside door. My mother was so upset as she said it looked like distemper. The door was opened and he took off straight to our neighbours two doors up and found out their puppy was having her first season. The first thing my mum did on finding out what had caused his symptoms was phone the vets and book him in to get neutered .:cwl: