Hattie, her lump and arthritis

If she has X-rays, inquire about how much manipulation they’ll do to her joints. Since Snowie had X-rays, his front limp is much more pronounced. I’m worried they over-manipulated his joints under sedation.

Apparently Manganese is important for joint health. Found in high quantities in mussels. I guess why the green-lipped mussel supplement is so popular. On the raw feeding page I belong to, fresh or frozen mussels are highly recommended.

At Snowie’s underwater treadmill session today, the dog physio said that every dog presents differently. That one dog with arthritis will be limping and crying, and another will show no signs of discomfort.

I totally relate to your worry. I wish I didn’t worry. It ruins everything! Sometimes I dread coming home from work in case Snowie will be limping worse. If my husband, who works from home, mentions that Snowie made a little cry when he lay down, I’ll feel upset the whole night.

We just bought some over-priced dog biscuits with hemp oil. He gets three every night. LOVES them. Not sure they’re working, but I feel better for giving it to him! The dog physio said CBD oil is better, though, and without the calories of a biscuit.

UncleBob

Administrator
Staff member
We're advocates of the Cartrophen injections too. Since Harv had these and started taking YuMove Plus supplements, his limp has gone completely (quickly touches something wooden!).

I also agree with the x-ray suggestion. If you can identify what the problem is you can form a plan of action. If you can't then it makes things a lot more hit and miss.

Remember, arthritis isn't curable but it is manageable.

@Charlie are you anywhere near Oban or Connel? There is a canine massage therapist based there, who may be worth a look: Balance Canine Massage
It seems that she travels to you; even if you are a way away, it might be worth enquiring what the travel costs would be to you.

I understand how hard it can be to find people when you're out in the sticks; it's very similar for us here, too. You have to balance what is best for the dog with what is actually feasible.

Absolutely. We can’t do it all, as we all face limitations of access, finances, etc etc.... It’s a matter of working out what you can actually do and channeling your resources into the possible. Obi has some arthritis too, and we are only using Pentosan/Cartrophrh/Zydax (all same thing) and trying to control his weight and keep him warm in the colder months. We are not throwing everything at it by any means....just what we have the time and $$ for.
It is hard when our doggies start to show signs of age....we all wish they could be in their prime forever. Can be some sadness associated with this kind of thing I think. I have found that anyway. But I am sure that Hattie is a tough lady and will power on for years to come.