Mantrailing with Tatze 🐾🐾

We've just come back from Pongo's first "proper" trailing session (his first outing was just the introduction course). There were four other dogs in the group, all of them have been doing it for more than a year. When it was Pongo's turn, the trainer said we'd better give him a short, easy trail because he was a beginner....just a hundred yards or so, more or less a straight line.
Well, he gobbled that one up.
OK....so next trail was a bit harder! Out through the woods, through a puddle (stopped for the inevitable Pongo-wallow, you can imagine can't you) then picked up the trail again and.... hello chickininabox!!!!
And then another trail through the woods, this time he hared off at top speed and I had to let the line go or I would have been a dramatic face-plant. But straight to the runner hiding behind a tree (he'd air-scented her rather than trailed).
I confess I was really rather proud of my big boy. Trainer said he was doing really well.

Unfortunately, the session got cut short because the next partnership to head out resulted in a casualty....not the dog, the handler caught her foot on a slippery log and put out a hand to break her fall...ended up with broken wrist. She made a hell of a lot less fuss than I would have (brave woman, that wrist was not the right shape AT ALL) but we had to get her off to A&E so that ended play for the morning.

@Boogie , cautionary tale for us all!! This is an easy-peasy game for the dogs, but the handlers....maybe not so much...

But with a bit of luck there will be another session before the end of the year. It's great fun, @Leanne, really worth a shot if you can make the trip.

Pongers is now snoooooooring in front of the football on telly. He had a fab morning.

She is already back on facebook joking about it. Good lord, they make 'em tough here in Wales.
I fell over in the snow, husband disappeared off with the car and I walked the dogs for an hour! Thought I had broken it, met a vet while walking and she confirmed my self diagnosis. So girls born in the shadow of the hills and not far from Wales inherit the toughness :happy:

We did four trails today, two long and two short. It was cold windy and rainy - on an urban housing estate so it took Tatze ages to pick up the scent - but when she did she was very good. I enjoy everything about it, the trailing, the dog chat and my flask of coffee with sandwiches!

I’m hooked and booking again for early January.

Here’s a video of one of the short trails :)

You have to be very patient don't you - I can imagine me wanting to make encouraging noises or giving a clue! Do they choose a housing estate because there aren't the distraction of wildlife scents that there might be in a forest?

You have to be very patient don't you - I can imagine me wanting to make encouraging noises or giving a clue! Do they choose a housing estate because there aren't the distraction of wildlife scents that there might be in a forest?
The group I go with in Monmouthshire vary it between urban, forest, hillsides, moors, fields, industrial....anything you can imagine. I thought Pongo would be hugely distracted, but once he locks onto a trail he is absolutely single minded!