Red is scratching

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
I was just thinking....Is it possible to take Red to a groomer? Considering Covid I don’t know if they are opened up? They see a lot of dogs with a lot of skin problems. Perhaps they can shed a light...
I think I’d be reluctant to do this at this point although I know dog groomers are working again - I shall keep it in mind though. Her coat is so thick and dense she might benefit

She's not been in a rape field has she? Some dogs can have a reaction to it and develop a rash.
We do have a huge rapeseed field that she walks on the perimeter daily. It’s now been harvested. She did at times chase the odd rabbit or muntjac 🙃 into the rape so it’s possible
 
This feels a bit dejavu to me because several years ago, Snowie was very itchy. He was getting the tick and flea preventatives, but he still itched. I tried them all. Eventually I gave him Bravecto, and he had two grand mal seizures within six weeks (he normally had a seizure every 4-6 months), and he still itched. In retrospect, I don’t believe he had fleas. I’ve not used any flea or tick stuff on him for many years now. No fleas. He is itchy, but it’s seasonal (gets very bad when he’s moulting). Best of all, not one seizure since stopping all tick and flea preventatives. I’m very wary of pesticides, especially those that are ingested or absorbed, cos you can’t just wash it off if there are adverse effects.
 

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
I’ve not used any flea or tick stuff on him for many years now
When we went into lockdown I couldn’t get Red’s normal Prinovox which the vets had recommended when she was a puppy so for 4 months she’s had no preventative flea/tick treatment. I have never felt comfortable with putting chemicals on her so I thought she would be ok without. I suppose I may never know what is causing this but for the moment I am putting my trust in our vet and following their advice.
 

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
We are back to the vets later this morning. After over a week of minimal scratching Red started again yesterday. I found two sore patches (with great difficulty) on her neck - her fur is like a lion mane 🦁) . I’d really like to get this sorted or at least get something to ease whatever is making her scratch - I find I get upset for her
 

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
Red has had her fur shaved under her neck and the vet has prescribed Apoquel for 5 days and to wash her neck twice a day with Hibiscrub. She said she can see the sore patches but doesn’t think it dermititis and no evidence of fleas or anything. She said if we see her scratching to tell her off. I did say that yesterday I told her ‘Don’t scratch’ and she actually listened to me and put her hind leg that was raised to scratch with down. I did wonder about the scratch/itch cycle. The vet also said she can have more Apoquel if necessary but if it goes on then further investigations will be needed. I hope we can stop this
 

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
Red has started scratching again. She finished the Apoquel last Thursday. Friday she was fine and then I saw her scratch a couple of times yesterday. More today. I have put her collar on in the house so more of an impediment to her neck. I’m also wondering about her fur growing back on the patch the vet shaved - that might be making her itch. I really don’t want to go down the route of more Apoquel although the vets said she could have more if necessary.
 
Top