The Labraventures of Carbón, Spanish (ex-) foster dog extraordinaire

Oh man. I’ve been upset on your behalf all day, telling my husband about what’s happened to Carbon and the lost in translation debacle. What did your vet mean by “total shit”? That the wrong procedure was done?

Happy sleeping on plastic. That can’t be comfortable. But better than stains on a rental mattress I guess. Simple Solution is brilliant for removing blood stains.

Oh no, poor you and Carbón!! :hug: :thelambiesarecoming:I’m glad you took him to your own vet! It's good that you can communicate in English with her if necessary. I know that the Germans uses other words for medical issues and if you’re not familiar with the terms that is very difficult! Glad you also got more painkillers. He needs them!

Joy

I do hope the extra pain meds help. This must be so hard for you - try to hang onto the thought that this time next week something will have changed. :hug:

Beanwood

Administrator
A question, what did the debris removed from Carbon's bladder consist of? Was it Xanthine stones, an assumption here, any red/white blood cells? Mucus plug with inflammation of urethra? How long had the stones been there? Large and small? These are important predictors of recurrence and therefore treatment plan.
I would also have a rethink of the leish treatment plan, as @snowbunny's suggests. I am interested in the fact that actually Carbon's kidney function is good, and has been for a while? This could open options in terms of treatments.

Cath

MLF Sales Coordinator
I don't know what to say to you Emily, you must be going through hell. So glad you have your old vet back and hope she can sort poor Carbon out.
Chin up girl you are doing your best for your lovely lad and we are all here for you :hug:

Emily_Babbelhund

Mama Red HOT Pepper
What did your vet mean by “total shit”? That the wrong procedure was done?
Yes. She talked to them before she transferred him over and they didn't discuss any possibility of this particular procedure. She was as surprised as I was and doesn't feel it was necessary. Of course she was also not the one in there taking out the stones and seeing the situation. She will talk further with the surgeon at the clinic and we're waiting on the lab results from the analysis of the stones.

Happy sleeping on plastic. That can’t be comfortable.
It doesn't affect the comfort but it does make some odd squishy sounds!

I know that the Germans uses other words for medical issues and if you’re not familiar with the terms that is very difficult!
Yes, you definitely know how it is from your own experiences! Although now that I've talked to my own vet and she was as surprised as I was, I do wonder if I misunderstood or they simply didn't tell me. But no matter now as the end result is the same.

I do hope the extra pain meds help.
To be honest, they have only helped so far. I feel he's more comfortable in the house when not moving, but outdoors when we go for a wee it is so difficult for him. If anything, the pain seems to be getting worse even if the wound is looking clean and dry. I'm very glad we are back at the vet Monday morning.

We are here to support you and will worry if you go quiet.
❤❤❤❤

A question, what did the debris removed from Carbon's bladder consist of? Was it Xanthine stones, an assumption here, any red/white blood cells? Mucus plug with inflammation of urethra? How long had the stones been there? Large and small? These are important predictors of recurrence and therefore treatment plan.
We've not gotten the labs back yet. From what I've been able to understand, they do not present like Xanthine stones and this is confusing everyone. They didn't show up on the x rays and are rounded, sort of the color of milk chocolate. The ones they gave me were about the same size, but I believe there were also smaller ones.

I would also have a rethink of the leish treatment plan, as @snowbunny's suggests. I am interested in the fact that actually Carbon's kidney function is good, and has been for a while?
I agree and have told our regular vet that I want to discuss milteforan. I don't think she's keen but we need to look at this. I also asked her to do a blood test for his Leish level yesterday so we should have that next week. His kidney function is very good, our vet was able to confirm that from the panel the clinic did prior to surgery. That means he's had normal kidney function results for 18 months now. Something to be very happy about.

Emily_Babbelhund

Mama Red HOT Pepper
Just to add to the above, Carbon and I have been laying low today. Literally: he seems to be happiest when I'm laying next to him so we've spent nearly all day either on the sofa or in bed. He had a very good night but I've only managed to get him out for a wee twice today and both those times have been tough. He can walk a foot or two at most, then has to sit and rest. Still a lot of blood when he urinates, but he is urinating copious amounts, so that's positive. Having a BM also seems very painful, but at least he's managing it, which he wasn't on Thursday or Friday.

He's now on pain meds three times a day and tomorrow I think I will add another dose (pre-approved by the vet).

One bright spot is that he took up his "please share your lunch with me" position next to my chair at the dining table which he'd not been able to do since Wednesday. This tells me the extra pain meds are helping at least a little.

He was thrilled to see Nadine and Fine (the Chihuahua) yesterday evening and even perked up a bit by showing Fine his Monkey. Fine was very gentle with him - she knew he wasn't feeling well. We even saw some tail wags which have all but disappeared since surgery.

Beanwood

Administrator
We've not gotten the labs back yet. From what I've been able to understand, they do not present like Xanthine stones and this is confusing everyone. They didn't show up on the x rays and are rounded, sort of the color of milk chocolate. The ones they gave me were about the same size, but I believe there were also smaller ones.
A bit odd, most stones show up on X-ray as you would expect. Xanthine doesn't, and ( from my experience with cats ) they are pretty distinct physically from other types. Kidney function good, this is great news! :clap:

My thoughts are pointing towards the stones being a result of a latent on-going bladder infection, but I am not sure they would be so smooth, equally though I don't think they would show up on an X-ray?

Did you get any feedback on the shape of Carbon's bladder? Sometimes a kink here and there can cause a predisposition towards UTI's and I imagine would be a bugger to get rid off.

You will get to the bottom of this and be wiser along the way, just really tough on you both right now. So be kind to yourself, and eat as much ice-cream as you want! :hug: