My Labrador Friends Book Club - Fiction Choice

Having re activated my card for my local library, I seem to have got back into reading again in quite a big way :) I'm quite excited about it :)

My first one was "Eleanor OLiphant is Completely Fine" by I can't remember who ...:rofl:. I think @Natalie has mentioned this, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Secondly I have just finished "The Cyclist Who Went Out In The Cold", by Tim MOOre, a journalist who travelled the length of the Iron Curtain on a bike designed for shopping, 9000 km, starting in Finland in the Arctic Circle and ending by the Black Sea in Bulgaria. I don't usually read travel books, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one too. I've never read any Bill Bryson, but this is apparently written in a similar vein. It was published in 2016, so he obviously did it before the Referendum was ever dreamt about. It is very humorous, but there's no denying the sobering effect of wars and the rise and fall of communism and the Soviet Union.
I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it already.

HAH

I seem to have got back into reading again in quite a big way :) I'm quite excited about it :)
I’m really vicariously pleased to read this!

I read French Revolutions by Tim Moore and think he’s a very funny and entertaining travel writer. I’m not a massive fan of Bill Bryson (I find him a bit ‘knowing’) so reckon Tim Moore is better ;) I’m going to look this one up - thanks @Selina27 :fistbump:

Oh I'm the biggest Tim Moore fan ever. My favourite ever author. His early works are good, Frost on my moustache( it's a rude joke which actually made me choke when I heard it 15 years ago as an audio book, I remember it vividly as I was on a treadmill at the gym)
French revolutions, Continental drifter, French revolutions, Do not pass go, You are awful but I like you, Spanish Steps , You are awful but I like you, Gironimo. All excellent.
The Nul points one about Eurovision is a bit stretched out, and his recent one about Trump and America was not his best.
He's quite rude and a bit sweary but does his research and goes through quite a lot to get his material. Shame he only puts out a book every 2 or 3 years.

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Just wondering as I sit here gently attempting to unwind after this week's meter fiasco (see 'A place to come when we are feeling down' it's likely to maybe give you a chuckle or so) has anyone read 'The mermaid and Mrs Hancock' by Imogen Hermes Gower? I found it so beautiful and moving and wise in many ways. A bit brutal in places too, but very good.

I'm listening to this at the moment: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone
I bought it thinking it was going to be funny. It's not. Well, there are a few laugh-out-loud moments, but once I got past the initial slight disappointment that it wasn't comedy, I've loved it. Today on my walk, I was in floods. The stories of her patients and how they evolve throughout just capture me. There have been moments of realisation with my own relationships. It's so worth a listen.

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
I bought a new Kindle at Heathrow so I can listen to audio books but I haven’t had the energy/capacity to get my head around how they work. Can you just download them from the audio store on kindle amazon. Do you then pair your headphones with your kindle? I am a complete ignoramus

Candy

Biscuit Tin Guardian
Can you just read it? On a Kindle for example, or is there an actual book? I struggle with being read to since I started reading for myself, I often find the voices aren't right and also I miss the quiet I always associate with sitting down for a good read.

Reactions: HAH
I bought a new Kindle at Heathrow so I can listen to audio books but I haven’t had the energy/capacity to get my head around how they work. Can you just download them from the audio store on kindle amazon. Do you then pair your headphones with your kindle? I am a complete ignoramus
What kindle is it?