Red is scratching

Yes, Quinn has been on apoquel late spring to first frost every year. This is her 5th season. She can’t be without it - gland issues, skin and ear infections, eye goop and constant scratching and biting at herself. She has seasonal allergies (not sure what, likely pollens as itch is worse then). This year after a diet change that seemed to help a bit I’ve gotten her down to one pill every other day or every 3 days. In my opinion, apoquel is a better option than long term steroid use. There is a shot (I can’t think of the name at the moment) but according to the vets I spoke to, it’s tolerated the same in their system as apoquel so not necessarily better/worse. The shot is by weight so works out to be more expensive than the pills for us.
 
Hope Red is feeling a bit better. I have not updated Vanilla's thread for ages about the 'immunotherapy for dogs', as we have moved on since we started with her. Need to sit down an update it - life just gets in the way...
Vanilla has been on steroids, Apoquel, various creams etc. depending on season. Personally I don't like the tablets cause we did see a change in her, but it was better than what she was going through.
She is now on a monthly shot of 'Cytopoint', plus some creams to assist in certain areas. Depending on how bad her allergies are, she gets a shot after about three weeks rather the monthly/4week one.
Maybe ask your vet for a referral to a dermatitis specialist and get her tested. Not cheap I know (well here it was expensive), but worth it as she is young.
 

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
Hope Red is feeling a bit better.
Thank you for your post @VanillaBean. Sorry Vanilla has allergies. Red is still scratching but only a few times per day and sometimes we can stop her mid scratch. I check her neck daily to make sure it’s not sore. I am still swabbing it with Hibiscrub but suppose I should stop that now. The vet said she could have more Apoquel if necessary and then further investigations would be necessary so at least I have a plan of action. I have started thinking about her food but really don’t want to be going down that route. However, if I knew it was causing the itching/scratching then of course I would look to something else
 

Cath

MLF Sales Coordinator
Sorry about Red. Annie has itchy legs from around late October until February . I think it is cause by all the leaves that fall around our house and lane.
She has had steroids, but I really don't like her having them. I wash her legs with Malaseb shampoo every other day and just rinse her legs the other days. I make sure her legs are dry. I also give her piriton if she really gets bad. Hope Red is soon better.
 

Lab_adore

Moderator
Staff member
Maxx gets itchy and red around his groin area. We have cream from the vet but we do what Cath does for Annie and rub on Malaseb shampoo, leave for 10 minutes and then thoroughly wash. We don't know what causes it, potentially when he runs through the bush something is irritating him.
 
I have started thinking about her food but really don’t want to be going down that route. However, if I knew it was causing the itching/scratching then of course I would look to something else
Chicken and beef are a common cause of itchiness in dogs. I don't know what Red is on these days, but it may not be that you need a drastic change (such as to raw), you could just try a different protein source for the kibble. I know she was on I/D for a while, though, so it's possibly not that easy.
 

Atemas

UK Tour Guide
She has Symply Turkey kibble and Forthglade turkey wet food. Fish4Dogs treats. She loves this food and I thought it ok for her and perhaps it is. That’s the conundrum when I don’t know what has bought on the itchiness. I might need to pick your brains @SwampDonkey
 
Top